Digital film for 35mm camera

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi,

I seem to remember that a couple of years ago, people were talking about companies manufacturing inserts that would replace the film in SLR Cameras. This would be ideal for me, as I already own a Canon EOS 5000, which was not so expensive, but is very good quality.

Anyone know where they went?

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Last I heard e-film was nearly dead. Expensive and poor quality, with limited functionality, it seems now that it was doomed from the start.

The company is now called silicon film. After they changed their name they announced that they would ship a 1280x1024 by 24 shot digital roll for $800USD. Not worth it at all. For 800USD you can buy a quite good digital camera, that is smaller, higher resolutions and ISOs (with noise cancellation), better battery life, and more storage capacity.

Don't waste your time. It looks like they're dead anyway: The 1.3MP sensor was announced in 1999 and it looks like they haven't updated their page since.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I dunno. Some of the fixed lens Digital SLRs have pretty good control at a resaonable price. 1000-2000 USD. Look at the Minolta and Olympus offerings. A few consumer and and prosumer (SLR but fixed lens) now offer f2.0 brightness, and I believe there is one that goes as low as 1.6.

I believe the limiting factor here is the image sensor and not the optics. I don't think the e-film sensor could cope with high-speed or too much light (wierd, but it'd probably just be noisy with a bright lense)

One great option with a decent quality digital camera is that you can quickly 'fix' a photo, or spend some time perfecting it in a 'digital darkroom'
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Yeah, I think it would be a better idea to buy the Canon EOS SLR, which will accept the lenses from your current EOS (I think, I'm a Nikon person).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Thanks everyone,

Its a great shame - I think I'll have to stick with my SLR and a scanner for the moment, as this will mean better quailty, without spending thousands on a digital SLR - my EOS is only an entry model anyhow...

David