Apple's Schiller to retake stand in second Apple v. Samsung trial, Forstall waits in wings

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
Apple's Phil Schiller is set to reprise his role as a witness in the second California Apple v. Samsung patent trial, while ousted iOS chief Scott Forstall is on both parties' lists for possible deposition and live testimony.

GPS
Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller revealing the first-generation iPad mini.

In a pair of court filings on Thursday, Apple and Samsung entered their initial witness lists for the parties' upcoming patent trial scheduled for the end of March. The case once again involves alleged-infringed patents and last-generation hardware, including the iPhone, iPad, iPod, MacBook Pro and various Samsung Galaxy devices.

Samsung is once again looking to call Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller up to the stand to discuss a wide range of topics, including the "design, development, promotion, marketing, advertising, consumer demand for, and sales of the iPhone." The executive is also on Apple's list of witnesses it expects to call on during the trial.

Schiller was a key witness during post-trial proceedings in the landmark Apple v. Samsung jury trial. When he took the stand, the companies were fighting over $400 million worth of damages vacated by the court due to jury miscalculations.

As for Forstall, the ousted Apple exec is on Samsung's witness list for possible testimony by deposition, while Apple "may call" him to testify live in court. Forstall was previously named as a possible witness in the vacated damages proceedings, but neither party called him to the stand.

Other notable potential witnesses for Samsung include Internet Archive founder Brewster Kahle and Apple VP of iOS and iPhone Marketing Greg Joswiak, while Apple has a few Samsung licensing executives lined up for questions on FRAND patent compliance.

The second California Apple v. Samsung trial is slated to start on Mar. 31.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Samsung will lose to Apple again.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Phil's opening statemen regarding Samsung:

[B]"CAN innovate anymore, my ass!"[/B]
  • Reply 3 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I hope Scott is a happy camper in all this and not too pissed at Apple management.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    That witness list from Apple is interesting, with reference to the Casio QV-10 and people from companies like MS, Google, OmniVision etc. Scroll through it, I say.
  • Reply 5 of 18

Call in Xerox management as a witness; companies copy all the time... as some nutJob once said "good artists copy, great artists steal!"... just don't copy us tho, coz we can't handle it.

• Reply 6 of 18
    Originally Posted by Bryan Tianao

Call in Xerox management as a witness; companies copy all the time... as some nutJob once said "good artists copy, great artists steal!"... just don't copy us tho, coz we can't handle it.

Do you people receive sexual pleasure from this or something? Why else would you continue to post lies 30 years after their debasement? 

• Reply 7 of 18
    If I had a dollar for every time a Bryan T posts uninformed and wrongly used reference to that quote I'd be ok with the derogative name calling of the deceased. But I haven't, and I'm not.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

If I had a dollar for every time a Bryan T posts uninformed and wrongly used reference to that quote I'd be ok with the derogative name calling of the deceased. But I haven't, and I'm not.

You’d sell out your morality for a single dollar? :p

• Reply 9 of 18
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Hey, check it out. Your post count matches your I.Q.

I love fools like this that try to take a quote literally as some sort of proof that it's alright to steal because Apple once said so. On public television.

It's like the perfect crime.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">If I had a dollar for every time a Bryan T posts uninformed and wrongly used reference to that quote I'd be ok with the derogative name calling of the deceased. But I haven't, and I'm not.</span>

You’d sell out your morality for a single dollar? :p

Good grief, no. Tried to make two statements in a single sentence, and screwed up.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    philboogie wrote: »
    Good grief, no. Tried to make two statements in a single sentence, and screwed up.

See. My normal Diarrhea-of-the-Keyboard immunizes me from that affliction...:smokey:
  • Reply 12 of 18

See. My normal Diarrhea-of-the-Keyboard immunizes me from that affliction...:smokey:

I simply hide behind the fact that English is not my native language.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bryan Tianao View Post

And by "nutJob" you actually mean "Pablo Picasso"; and bringing in Xerox management would only enter into the trial's record that Apple gave Xerox 100,000 shares of pre-IPO stock for a look at what they had going on inside PARC.

But please continue to post ignorance - it allows us to easily filter you out.

By the way, Picasso actually said "bad artists copy, great artists steal" which is more apropos to Samsung's copying.

• Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineShedFred View Post

And by "nutJob" you actually mean "Pablo Picasso"; and bringing in Xerox management would only enter into the trial's record that Apple gave Xerox 100,000 shares of pre-IPO stock for a look at what they had going on inside PARC.

By the way, Picasso actually said "bad artists copy, great artists steal" which is more apropos to Samsung's copying.

Steve was a great artist.  The greatest!

• Reply 15 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I simply hide behind the fact that English is not my native language.

Yet, I must say your command of my mother tongue is better than most natives! :)
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Yet, I must say your command of my mother tongue is better than most natives! :)

Good thing I understand what is meant by 'mother tongue' :D
  • Reply 17 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Mr; Jobs gave them the stock? I had understood Xerox paid $10/share for it, or $1M.

....and yes I understand that they also made a profit of about $16M on it when Apple went public.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    He didn't give them stock, he gave them the opportunity to buy pre-IPO stock. Which they did.

A small distinction, but still distinct. And they might as well have given it to them at $10/share.