What Next for rMBP in 2014 ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2014

I have plans of buying a Retina Macbook Pro 15 Inch on my mind though I would like to buy it sometime in the recent future, I am not in any hurry or need to buy it. Last 2 -3 days there have been news and rumours all over the internet that Apple has registered some TradeMarks and Patents relating to the Refreshed Macbook Release this year in 2014 which are Solar Panels and Touch Based Panels or something...So is it safe to assume that are we going to see any revolutionary new design with the Retina Macbook Pro Or is it going to be just plain Jane Spec Bump in some processor or chipset and thats it. Should I look forward to these developing news of a refreshed and a new design rMBP in 2014 before basing my decision on anything ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Apple registers all kinds of patents. If you look at the sheer number they register in a given year, you'll notice that they can't be reliably used to predict what is coming with the next refresh. In the past I haven't seen Apple apply major design changes more than once every 3 years, which would mean this year is unlikely. Broadwell will likely get a nice gpu boost. If the price of NAND drops far enough to either bump storage again or they can ease the 13 and 15" back toward their old price tiers due to other shifts in component pricing, that will represent a win. I would like to see them improve the uniformity of their displays. A lot of hardware research has gone into that exact topic for many years, so it's not like they couldn't license any of it. Anyway you won't see any major refresh before Fall at the earliest. This is because the only things coming out in the Spring are the .1ghz types of spec bumps that intel commonly releases midway through a chip cycle.