How to remove scratches?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has anyone come across a way of removing scratches from the face of the iPod?

I see there are a few CD/DVD scratch removal systems, but they seem to be based around a manual spinning wheel device, combined with a mild abrasive.

Obviously the iPod wouldn't fit in this, but is there a paste/polishing solution available separately?

Maybe a photographer or astronomer knows of something.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Front or back?

I've got some little scratches in the back of mine. Apparently, crumbs in pocket + iPod = bad news.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    the scratches are on the front - my wife had it in her pocket with some change. They are not deep but there are "cloudy" groups of scratches.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    anyone in the UK seen Displex for sale?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Displex and similar products (sold by mobile phone dealers) are basically miniscule packs or tubes of polish, sold at excessive prices.

The same product is available in much larger quantities (often cheaper than those 2 cc tubes) at car parts shops and DIY shops. It is used by professionals to polish cars and/or plastic parts. Ask for "rubbing compound" or just "polish".

In most cases, several brands and grades are available. If the scratches aren't too deep, you need the finest polish. If the scratches are really deep, you may need to use a medium fine polish first.

When in doubt about the polishing product, test it on some inexpensive piece of hard plastic, for example a CD box.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Buy a new iPod???
  • Reply 6 of 11
    well I followed janvanes advice and had a look in the local car part shop.

They had a polish intended for removing scratches from the PVC windows found in the back of Cabriolet roofs.

It wasn't branded, just a generic Halfords polish and a bargain at only £1.79 for a toothpaste sized tube.

After a couple of applications it removed my scratches! even the deeper ones are gone

What I need now is a case: any recomendations?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Any ideas on taking the scraches of the BACK?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    the best case I have personally seen and used now for about 4 months is here<a href="http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=3929&Item=OWCPDPC"; target="_blank">web page</a>...fits like a glove. and you still have all functionality of ipod. BTW, no scratches yet to date.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    the best case I have personally seen and used now for about 4 months is here<a href="http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=3929&Item=OWCPDPC"; target="_blank">web page</a>...fits like a glove. and you still have all functionality of ipod. BTW, no scratches yet to date.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    pls see the website below for the name of company called micro solution.

this company makes an iBook scratch remover. their product is called (what else?) iWax.

for iBook, but iPod should be ok as well.

this iWax is in all the stores in Japan now that sell macs.

<a href="http://www.micro-solution.com"; target="_blank">www.micro-solution.com</a>

thnx