iTivo ????

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
<a href="http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=06765"; target="_blank">http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=06765</a>;

Video Details of Apple iTiVo Revealed -- Based on unconfirmed but reliable reports from within Apple, the company is planning to release its own digital video recorder (DVR) device, based on technology licensed from TiVo, Inc. (see "TiVo: Freedom Through Time-Shifting" in TidBITS-594). Tentatively dubbed "iTiVo," the device adds television viewing to Apple's digital hub concept by enabling owners to record television programs to the iTiVo's massive 160 GB hard disk, play the programming back at the their leisure, and transfer shows to a FireWire-connected Mac as QuickTime movies - ideal for PowerBook and iBook owners wanting to watch TV on the go. Although early reports suggest that Apple ported the TiVo's Linux-based software to run under Mac OS X, leaked video footage of the device in use suggests that Apple has changed little with the existing TiVo software (much the way Handspring and Sony use slightly modified versions of the Palm OS). Technical specifications remain sketchy, but - at least based on the video linked below - the iTiVo appears to support memory and hard disk upgrades, AirPort access (for setting recording options from your Mac instead of relying on the included remote control), and Apple's innovative industrial design. [JLC]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Happy April 1st.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

[QB] Video Details of Apple iTiVo Revealed <hr></blockquote>

i'm just wishful thinking here, but take a listen...

apple just released the new 23 inch HD display. apple also released some weird video device in tokyo. i realize that that weird video thing is definately not tivo, but maybe it's a step towards that.

back to my point... how nice would it be to have a 23 inch HD"TV" from apple and then possibly a apple/sony collaboration of tivo.... iMacish looking with an awesome iPod looking remote.

maybe in the future all family rooms will have something like this... iTivo, iPod Music (or iTunes), iPhoto slideshows, iMovie flicks, and who knows whatelse.

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: greyisgood ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 3
    anybody have advice on what to use now for TV on a cpu? The options I see are:

1. ATI has a little usb job (but the quality i imagine is terrible)

2. Formac has an internal card, (but again bad quality.. no fullscreen...)

3. Formac's external firewire box (im not sure.. looks ok..)

Let me know if you have any input.. I woukld love the tivo ability....thanks guys!!

C-

"we have a kitchen??"