Oscars host Ellen DeGeneres poses for Samsung sponsored selfie, but tweets from her iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
Samsung's promotional efforts to pose celebrities at the Oscars next to its products took an embarrassing turn when the host of the event, Ellen DeGeneres, tweeted before, during and after the event from her iPhone.

Ellen Oscars

"The Oscars 2014 feel like (are?) a commercial for Samsung," Jesus Diaz wrote for Sploid, "with Ellen DeGeneres flashing a Galaxy Note and taking selfies left right and center. It's ridiculous."

The Verge noted, "Samsung's presence at the awards tonight is pretty over-the-top, extending from the Samsung Galaxy S5 commercials all the way to the stage."

DeGeneres' scripted selfie-taking in front of the cameras at the Oscars (above) was prominently done using a Galaxy Note mini-tablet. The photo she captured was a blur, with DeGeneres comically hash tagging the selfie "#Oscars #Blessed #blurry."

Backstage at the event, the host actually took selfies with her iPhone, and tweeted them out (below), as noted by Diaz.

Ellen iPhone Oscars

Samsung's expensive promotions running into failure

Last year alone, Samsung spent $14 billion on marketing, a figure that investors have targeted as extravagantly excessive. But even as the company works to reduce its marketing expenses, Samsung is struggling with expensive sponsorships where celebrities have put their free Galaxy back in the box to use iPhones.

At the last Summer Olympics, Samsung signed an "exclusive agreement with David Beckham to be its global brand ambassador for the London 2012 Olympic Games," but Beckham was, embarrassingly for Samsung, just spotted using his iPhone 5s at the Super Bowl.

David Beckham back to iPhone after Samsung sponsorship

Samsung has regularly experienced difficulty in avoiding embarrassment after key sponsors continued using iOS devices, most notably via Twitter. In December, Samsung launched a "Galaxy 11" fantasy soccer team campaign that was intended to go viral, but instead went awry when star team manager Franz Beckenbauer tweeted out Samsung's prepared remarks from his iPhone.

In October, T-Mobile chief executive John Legere intended to use Twitter to direct attention to Samsung Mobile's latest Note 3 phablet and the company's Galaxy Gear watch accessory, but inadvertently did so via his iPhone 5s.

Last spring, Samsung's sponsored Spanish tennis star David Ferrer tweeted out ostensible satisfaction with his #GalaxyS4 and stated that he was "configuring S Health on my new #GalaxyS4 to help with training @SamsungMobile," albeit from his iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Would it be possible that Samsung simply copied iOS verbatim and now this is simply a bug and she actually did post from a Samsung device¿ Nah, that can't be it. Does Twitter actually have an Android version app? All I see is celebs tweeting from an iPhone!
  • Reply 2 of 74
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Got it... Samsung has to pay people like DeGeneres to use its products, then the first moment they can, they go back to their iPhone because it's actually easier to use.

Plus, it takes much better pictures than that blurry, Samsung garbage.

Poor Shamesung.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    lukefrenchlukefrench Posts: 102member
    You would still think that after being embarrassed repetitively with such things many times, they would take steps to avoid that, no ?

Or are they that dumb ?

And I'm polite, because the accurate way of describing that is bitten in the arse and kicked in the balls.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lukefrench View Post

You would still think that after being embarrassed repetitively with such things many times, they would take steps to avoid that, no ?

Or are they that dumb ?

And I'm polite, because the accurate way of describing that is bitten in the arse and kicked in the balls.

I'm thinking they can't control what people do in their free time. And there's a long, long history of celebrities not actually using the products they get paid to endorse.

But Samsung's probably not too disappointed: far more people will have seen Ellen use a Samsung phone on TV than will have heard that she tweeted with something else. 

• Reply 5 of 74
    Well spent advertising dollars?

I don't think so, not when the name of your bitterest rival keeps cropping up at your sponsored mega events - Sochi, and now the Oscars and that's just this year so far...
  • Reply 6 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

I'm thinking they can't control what people do in their free time. And there's a long, long history of celebrities not actually using the products they get paid to endorse.

But Samsung's probably not too disappointed: far more people will have seen Ellen use a Samsung phone on TV than will have heard that she tweeted with something else. 

I wonder if ABC will have to return that big paycheck Samsung paid them for the product placement...assuming they had good lawyers, the contract would have stipulated that DeGeneres use ONLY their products throughout the broadcast. Clearly, she didn't.

She wasn't on "free time" or personal time. It doesn't matter that she was backstage. She was still promoting the Oscars, the event Samsung sponsored.

• Reply 7 of 74
    Did you see Craig Federighi at the Oscars?
  • Reply 8 of 74
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    1) This ridiculous product placement is somehow worse than an entire episode of modern family that revolved around iPad product placement, how, exactly?

2) Samsung needs to put it in writing that if their paid sponsors are too stupid to actually use the products they're being paid to use, they forfeit every dime they've been paid. Seriously. You all are attacking Samsunh for this, but really, how stupid do you have to be here? This is like trying to sell Coke while wearing a Pepsi t shirt. Morons.

Gotta love all the Samsung hate here. Christ, it's like high school. What are you all, five? You can support your brand of choice without talking childish smack about the competition, ya know? You know how I voice my opinion on te matter? I buy Apple products instead of Samsung products, but I don't talk smack about them or their users. So difficult.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I really think she doesn't care.
  • Reply 10 of 74
    Money cannot buy love
  • Reply 11 of 74
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

Well spent advertising dollars?

I don't think so, not when the name of your bitterest rival keeps cropping up at your sponsored mega events - Sochi, and now the Oscars and that's just this year so far...

It's product placement.  Few outside of the minority of users that attach their identities to what brand of phone they use really care if it is one of the phones she actually uses or not.  It makes the product visible to a large audience with people many relate positively to.

Jerry Seinfeld did a Superbowl ad for Acura, when it is known he prefers Porsches and he has since been seen driving one....  The scandal!!

I was actually surprised this site missed it when Whoopi recently did something similar too.

• Reply 12 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

2) Samsung needs to put it in writing that if their paid sponsors are too stupid to actually use the products they're being paid to use, they forfeit every dime they've been paid. Seriously. You all are attacking Samsunh for this, but really, how stupid do you have to be here? This is like trying to sell Coke while wearing a Pepsi t shirt. Morons.

Gotta love all the Samsung hate here. Christ, it's like high school. What are you all, five? You can support your brand of choice without talking childish smack about the competition, ya know? You know how I voice my opinion on te matter? I buy Apple products instead of Samsung products, but I don't talk smack about them or their users. So difficult.

Well, maybe Samsung needs to find famous people who actually use their products. Those people won't be tweeting from iPhones at all.  But there isn't even one, is there?

The whole point about those idiotic attempts for product positioning is to convince people that all those stars actually use Samsung products rather than Apple's. But they don't. And it all backfires. Each time. But Samsung are insistent on using the same approach.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

-- Albert Einstein

• Reply 13 of 74
    This is too awesome. I mean, who likes Samsung? And then to have them to act just like Microsoft did (by investing billions of dollars trying to "force" consumers to like their products) iis too funny. Thanks Samsung, for shooting your own foot. We need more of these pearls of idiocy to get you even lower sales. And you, just like your products, suck. If I even give up my iPhone (won't happen, but to illustrate), it would be a Windows phone. They suck too but at least they are aesthetically prettier alternative and managed to be original, rather than a ridiculous, trying-too-hard-wanna-be-iPhone such as Galaxy S5 (gotta be kidding me with this name, really Samsung? "S" 5 ?)
  • Reply 14 of 74
    Ps.: Thanks Eran; we love u
  • Reply 15 of 74
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    Few things.
    1. If you were watching her take the selfie above? She never stopped that long. Not sure an iPhone, or even the 41 megapixel Lumia, would have taken a better picture.
    2. Samsung got exactly what they paid for. Millions of eyes on all it's new products. You might say they reached an over saturation point. It was beginning to get sickening. To the point I joked I was going to put some electrical tape over the Samsung name on my tv.
    3. No one outside of tech blogs will know she was back stage with her iPhone. And they don't care, either
    4. That tweeted picture that "broke Twitter"? Pretty decent shot and from the same camera. Just sayin'
  • Reply 16 of 74

What another vapid hate filled useless 'article' from Dilger.  Click bait c**p to get the usual haters on here to vent their spleens about Samsung.  Really people?

Grow up and grow a pair.  This is exactly the same c**p we've had before when it was Apple vs Microsoft.  Apple is the no.1 tech company in the world with A+ products like the iPhone and iPad.  Why do you guys have to hate so much when Apple is in such ascendence?

• Reply 17 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The selfie that went viral didn't have a Samsung Note in the shot. you have no way of knowing what phone took the photo from the photo itself. And I think it's pretty obvious the photo would've gone viral matter what phone it was taken from. Big winner in all of this is Twitter which didn't have to spend a dime.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

Samsung got their money's worth, but Apple got the same if not more for free.  :)

She owns and uses an iPhone but was paid to pose with a Samsung.  Hmmmm...

The message is to keep buying iPhones and Samsung will pay you to pose with their phone. :wow:

• Reply 19 of 74
    frood wrote: »
    It's product placement.  Few outside of the minority of users that attach their identities to what brand of phone they use really care if it is one of the phones she actually uses or not.  It makes the product visible to a large audience with people many relate positively to.

Jerry Seinfeld did a Superbowl ad for Acura, when it is known he prefers Porsches and he has since been seen driving one....  The scandal!!

I was actually surprised this site missed it when Whoopi recently did something similar too.

I think it's interesting that Jerry Seinfeld likes Porsches, but advertises for Acura. Because that's exactly how I would compare Apple in relation to samsung. Apple really is the top of the line brand in smart phones.

Most of the time, when I see a celebrity, they're on an iPhone. Most rich people I know use iPhones. I'm sure there are exceptions, but seriously, don't almost all celebrities you see use the iPhone? Now I don't care what celebrities do most of the time, but when it comes to a product they're using (not advertising), I take notice because they have more time and money to find the best products and get the best stuff. Most of the people who hate the iPhone have never owned one. But celebrities have the resources to try several phones, and they use the iPhone. I think it's cool they've come to the same conclusion I have.

Technology is evening the playing field, and making it so the same toy that the richest of the rich play on every day is available to me, too.
  • Reply 20 of 74

lip stick on a pig and selfless promotions just does not a sharp picture make .(how could you tell it was blurry if you were looking at it on an android phone?)