Context-aware AI seen as key component behind Apple's new CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Apple's new vehicle infotainment system CarPlay will do much more than display iPhone maps and play music from a vehicle's dashboard, as one key feature will be an advanced, contextually aware artificial intelligence system aims to assist users while they drive.

CarPlay

In announcing CarPlay on Monday, Apple revealed that the new iPhone-driven system will intelligently interpret data from a user's handset to predict where a driver may be heading. This could allow for much simpler navigation, negating the need to enter in an address for a final destination.

CarPlay will predict where a user is most likely headed go by detecting addresses in emails, text messages, contacts and calendars. Likely destinations can then be presented to the user, who can simply select one and then be on their way.

It's this artificial-intelligence-like system that may prove to be the defining feature for CarPlay, analyst Maynard Um of Wells Fargo believes. He views the contextual awareness of Apple's new vehicle system as the most interesting announcement made by the company on Monday.

CarPlay

Um also believes that the ability of iOS devices to automatically obtain information needed, rather than requiring users to search for it themselves, has great potential that goes beyond CarPlay. He believes that new functionality could be a "key to ecosystem differentiation," and could become an important facet of iOS going forward.

In addition, Um believes that CarPlay will help to lock in existing iPhone users, tying them more into Apple's mobile ecosystem of accessories and applications that work seamlessly on iOS.

The automated functionality of CarPlay is also a key aspect for Apple, which is pushing the safety of its system in its promotional materials. In addition to automatically recommending addresses, CarPlay also works with the voice-driven personal assistant Siri to allow hands-free control and eyes-free dictation and receipt of text messages.

Apple is billing CarPlay as a "smarter, safer" car infotainment system that will allow drivers to "stay focused on the road." In addition to built-in apps for phone, music, maps and messages, third-party developers will also be able to create their own applications for CarPlay. Currently, available applications are all music-based, but it's possible that additional app categories could make their way to the system in the future.

CarPlay was officially announced by Apple as part of the Geneva Motor Show on Monday. A rebranding of the "iOS in the Car" functionality unveiled by the company last year, CarPlay will debut in select vehicles this year from partners Volvo, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Hyundai, and Ferrari. Future partners include Ford, Chevrolet, BMW, Kia, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Good! I'm sick of asking my iPhone for the nearest gas station along a highway route and have it give me one that's 5 miles behind me but has me travel another 10 miles to an exit with a gas station just to turn around to get 15 miles back. I've never had this issue with TomTom.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    In announcing CarPlay on Monday, Apple revealed that the new iPhone-driven system will intelligently interpret data from a user's handset to predict where a driver may be heading. This could allow for much simpler navigation, negating the need to enter in an address for a final destination.
    ... by detecting addresses in emails, text messages, contacts and calendars.

:err: That sounds an awful lot like the kind of data-mining one of their competitors does, and not well-received by some of the membership. FWIW I don't have any particular problem with it myself but it does go against the general belief that Apple doesn't (some say can't) scan emails or texts. Perhaps it will be one of those automatically-enabled permissions requiring an opt-out if you don't want to take advantage of the feature? That would make sense.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    :err: That sounds an awful lot like the kind of data-mining one of their competitors does, and not well-received by some of the membership.
    Except they're not mining it to sell to advertisers.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    rogifan wrote: »
    Except they're not mining it to sell to advertisers.

Who does? Loaded question of course as it's not something Google does. That was your implication wasn't it. ;)
  • Reply 5 of 53
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    :err: That sounds an awful lot like the kind of data-mining one of their competitors does, and not well-received by some of the membership. FWIW I don't have any particular problem with it myself but it does go against the general belief that Apple doesn't (some say can't) scan emails or texts. Perhaps it will be one of those automatically-enabled permissions requiring an opt-out if you don't want to take advantage of the feature? That would make sense.

This isn't new. It's already being done. Just go to maps on your iPhone now- it uses email text already- it was useful in getting to my hotel yesterday. The address was in my email and I didn't even have to copy/paste. Just typed "omni" and maps gave me a search selection w/ address.

Googles mining goes to their server. Nothing like this feature which stays localized on your phone.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    andysol wrote: »
    This isn't new. It's already being done. Just go to maps on your iPhone now- it uses email text already- it was useful in getting to my hotel yesterday. The address was in my email and I didn't even have to copy/paste. Just typed "omni" and it have me a search selection w/ address.

Googles mining goes to their server. Nothing like this feature which stays localized on your phone.

Not sure what you mean by "nothing like this feature". If it's a Siri request it all goes to Apple servers. Not sure why you're convinced servers won't be involved.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Who does? Loaded question of course as it's not something Google does. ;)

So ... all those ads I suddenly get on product 'X' immediately after I Google product 'X' are pure bloody coincidence then, good to know. I will have to reconsider my view on Google 'sharing' my interests, I obviously was totally misunderstanding Google's business model. You are such a useful source of accurate information on this blog, I thank you for your unrelenting service on Google's behalf.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    So ... all those ads I suddenly get on product 'X' immediately after I Google product 'X' are pure bloody coincidence then, good to know. I will have to reconsider my view on Google 'sharing' my interests, I obviously was totally misunderstanding Google's business model. You are such a useful source of accurate information on this blog, I thank you for your unrelenting service on Google's behalf.

Google certainly places ads on behalf of companies like Sears or Walmart or BMW. They didn't sell your file to Sears or Walmart or BMW. You're welcome. Hope you're no longer confused.

In any event I was registering my surprise that Apple would say they'll be mining emails and texts. I'm not particularly surprised they do so, nor do I care if they do. I can't think of another way they could deliver on the feature, and it will definitely be both helpful and safer for the driver.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Google certainly places ads on behalf of companies like Sears or Walmart or BMW. They didn't sell your file to Sears or Walmart or BMW. You're welcome. Hope you're no longer confused.

Fine, but there is a big divide between Apple parsing your messages to determine what's a calendar event and what's a phone number, and Google creating targeted ads for users based on their previous usage history.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    O, 5 years later Google, Samsung, Amazon version will mind your data and stop the car so you have to buy a gift based on a search by your friend's behavior after popping up an ad....all goes for free....if they are still in business.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Fine, but there is a big divide between Apple praising your messages to determine what's a calendar event and what's a phone number, and Google creating targeted ads for users based on their previous usage history.

How does Apple determine who to target a pertinent ad to? I suspect in much the same way Google does, just on a smaller scale. But again I'm not objecting to it in the slightest.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    How does Apple determine who to target a pertinent ad to?

They don't.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Maybe this was what the Tesla meeting was about? It wasn't that long ago, perhaps they didn't have time to make a decision and confirm Tesla in the future lineup?

Perhaps I'm projecting. However both companies have a stronger history of being gamechangers than any of their competitors.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    solipsismx wrote: »
    They don't.

I do believe they do targeted ads sir. That's what the really oddly-placed and hard- to-find and confusing-to-some iAd toggle is supposed to disable isn't it?
  • Reply 15 of 53
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Hate to say this WAZE which is now owned by Google already does this

Quote:

CarPlay will predict where a user is most likely headed go by detecting addresses in emails, text messages, contacts and calendars. Likely destinations can then be presented to the user, who can simply select one and then be on their way.

I get in my car, turn on WAZE and with in a few minutes of driving it asked if I am heading to a particular location and will navigate me there and it remembers the roads and path I use the most so it does not always take you ways which you know are not good to travel.

I have to say this is a feature I wish my TomTom had years ago, i should have patented the idea 10 yrs ago when I go first car GPS and wish it knew where I was heading and would not use certain roads.

The problem is I know google is now using this information some how, But I know my driving happens are not to googles liking since I drive the path of lease red lights when I can which means I am not driving by a store who advertises with google.

• Reply 16 of 53
    Not sure what you mean by "nothing like this feature". If it's a Siri request it all goes to Apple servers. Not sure why you're convinced servers won't be involved.
    Sorry- did I mention Siri? Better yet- did the article mention Siri outside of dictating or reading text messages?
    The actual example I gave of taking an address in my email and pre destining it in maps- didn't go through any server. The article only mentions maps as well. So again- staying on topic- this is absolutely nothing like google- who takes all information to their server. This info stays on your phone exclusively.

Regardless- what is this- the official gator guy thread? Must you rebut to every comment?
  • Reply 17 of 53
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Great, now when are other car manufacturers besides Tesla going to offer bigger touch screens? Tesla's is 17"!
  • Reply 18 of 53
    andysol wrote: »
    Sorry- did I mention Siri? Sure, a Siri request goes through apples server. But the actual example I gave of taking an address in my email and pre destining it in maps- didn't go through any server. The article only mentions maps as well. So again- staying on topic- this is absolutely nothing like google- who takes all information to their server. This info stays on your phone exclusively.

If you turn off data will those addresses still "pre destine" in maps? Honest question. I'm guessing that it won't, that it relies on communication with Apple's servers, but I don't really know.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    The description in the article seems to suggest that CarPlay will display destinations options relevant to what you are doing on your phone right now, likely your most recently read email or message. That doesn't sound like it needs to do any heavy duty data mining to accomplish its job.

I'd like to know how effective Siri will be in a noisy car cabin (A/C blowing, kids in back seat, windows down, et al) to minimize looking down to use a touch screen. Will it use mics built into the car and activated by a steering wheel mounted button like in my Honda?
  • Reply 20 of 53
    If you turn off data will those addresses still "pre destine" in maps? Honest question. I'm guessing that it won't, that it relies on communication with Apple's servers, but I don't really know.
    If you turn off data will that address still "pre destine" in maps? Honest question.

It does. Just tried it on a reservation from vacation rental by owners that I'm going to savannah ga in June. Started typing the address and it said the full address "by Mary milsap" (the name of the vacation rental owner). Pulled from her email she sent 3 months ago that is in a folder. Btw- I've never mapped that address before or stayed there before. Data was off