Apple issues first OS X 10.9.3 beta, asks developers to focus on graphics and audio

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2014
A little over one week after its release of the OS X 10.9.2 maintenance update, Apple on Thursday seeded OS X 10.9.3 beta to developers for testing.

13D12

According to people who have seen OS X 10.9.3 beta build 13D12, Apple is asking developers to focus on Graphics Drivers and Audio. Notably absent from the release notes is Mail, which has been a thorn in OS X Mavericks' side since it debuted in October of 2013.

Despite a standalone patch and continued work through maintenance updates 10.9.1 and 10.9.2, users are still complaining of erratic Mail app behaviors including issues with Smart Mailbox functionality and problems with Gmail.

Apple latest released OS X 10.9.2 last week with a fix for the "goto fail" SSL security flaw and feature additions like FaceTime Audio and iMessage blocking.

Developers can download the latest OS X 10.9.3 beta via Software Update or Apple's developer portal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member

Mavericks is a god-awful OS.  It's like Apple learned nothing from the previous releases.  They broke more things than they introduced.  Total garbage.

I just had the magic file-delete bug.  I was transferring a file from one machine to another, stopped it on the one, and ALL of the user settings on the target Mac got deleted.  

I've been using Macs since OS9.  Mavericks sucks.

• Reply 2 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    Mavericks is a god-awful OS.  It's like Apple learned nothing from the previous releases.  They broke more things than they introduced.  Total garbage.

I just had the magic file-delete bug.  I was transferring a file from one machine to another, stopped it on the one, and ALL of the user settings on the target Mac got deleted.  

Sorry to hear about your screw up. Meanwhile, on six Macs on my LAN that have been running Mavericks since it came out and several with the developers' versions, all is working very well. Heck I even have a G3 running OS 9 ... but then I have been using Macs since 1984, perhaps I have a knack you don't ... ;)
  • Reply 3 of 37
    tzterritzterri Posts: 110member
    Personally I really like Mavericks.

I went from Snow Leopard to Mavericks so never used the Lion versions.

A few annoyances, but nothing worse than any other OS, just different annoyances.

Only real bug that I've noticed is if you drag a Finder tab over the desktop and let go it puts a little tiny Finder window that you can't select and the only way to get rid of it is to restart the Finder.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    tzterri wrote: »

A few annoyances, but nothing worse than any other OS, just different annoyances.

Only real bug that I've noticed is if you drag a Finder tab over the desktop and let go it puts a little tiny Finder window that you can't select and the only way to get rid of it is to restart the Finder.

No it doesn't, you have a problem there. I'd try reinstalling the combo update if I were you.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    tzterri wrote: »

I like it too! I get amazing battery life. I have found no bugs at all.

eriamjh wrote: »

Sounds like something's wrong with your install. Try reinstalling. I've had no bugs
  • Reply 6 of 37
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    The people claiming Mavericks is great when the article acknowledged that Mail is still broken after three updates must live in a fantasy world.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    hillstones wrote: »
    The Kool-Aid drinkers claiming Mavericks is great when the article acknowledged that Mail is still broken after three updates. They must live in a fantasy world.
    Obviously people just don't know how to use Mail.app. It works perfectly for me. Not one single bug. I'm an advanced mac user, l haven't had a crash or anything with mavericks. Maybe I'm just lucky, lol
  • Reply 8 of 37
    The Kool-Aid drinkers claiming Mavericks is great when the article acknowledged that Mail is still broken after three updates. They must live in a fantasy world.
    I live in the same world you do. Why does everyone criticize apple? They are a good force for the works, and everyone's after them. Anyone notice this? All the ads of other tech companies are against apple! You try making an OS and tell me if something doesn't break.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

They must live in a fantasy world.

Hey, at least it’s better than the “I’m so pathetic I have to go on a site about products I hate made by a company I hate and talk about them” world.

• Reply 10 of 37
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

I don't know whether the complaint about 10.9.2 are real or not, but there's enough of them that I'm not taking any chances.   I'm not loading that update.  I'll wait for 10.9.3.

Luckily, I don't use Mail - I still use Outlook, but since Mavericks there are some problems there as well.

• Reply 11 of 37
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

I really haven't had any issues with 10.9. The first posters sounds like they have something wrong with the install. I would try reinstalling. I run many Macs with 10.9 and all of them have been flawless. Now if your issue was a widespread issue I'd think differently. 

• Reply 12 of 37
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

People are Kool-Aid drinkers if they like Mavericks and/or have not had issues with Mail? :\ The issue people are having with Mail seem to be with connecting to Gmail over IMAP. If this is the issue some are having there are plenty of workarounds that the user can setup once and then forget about it.

Note that people not having the issues mentioned in this thread means they believe that Mavericks and Mac OS X don't have bugs, or that Apple can do no wrong. The fact that they are commenting on a thread about a point update should be enough evidence they are too high on the Kool-Aid to not think Apple has bugs to correct.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    solipsismx wrote: »
    People are Kool-Aid drinkers if they like Mavericks and/or have not had issues with Mail? :\ The issue people are having with Mail seem to be with connecting to Gmail over IMAP. If this is the issue some are having there are plenty of workarounds that the user can setup once and then forget about it.

Note that people not having the issues mentioned in this thread means they believe that Mavericks and Mac OS X don't have bugs, or that Apple can do no wrong. The fact that they are commenting on a thread about a point update should be enough evidence they are too high on the Kool-Aid to not think Apple has bugs to correct.
    I know apple has bugs to correct, I don't go call out all their flaws though.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones

So perhaps those of us who like Mavericks simply don't use gmail. I don't, and have been running 10.9 since DP2 and haven't had a single issue I would identify with the upgrade. This was a refreshing point-zero beta compared to the previous two major releases. 10.8 was a disaster rife with frequent kernel panics. I believe I've had only one with 10.9.

I'm sure the gmail bugs annoy the heck out of anyone who relies on "please spam me and comb my emails for targeted advertising" free email services like gmail, but don't say those of us who prefer to keep our email out of the hands of Google are drinking Kool-Aid because we're not subject to the one major issue that made it into the 10.9 GM.

(sorry, edited to properly attribute the original message)

• Reply 15 of 37
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    I've had a very slow finder since going to mavericks. When in Logic or any other app, clicking 'save as' brings up the dialogue box and you get the spinning wheel while it tries to figure out what's in that folder or directory. Same when using finder. That's with an SSD, so it's not the HDD, I've seen others with the same bug in 10.9. Roll on 10.10...
  • Reply 16 of 37
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    inosey wrote: »
    Obviously people just don't know how to use Mail.app. It works perfectly for me. Not one single bug. I'm an advanced mac user, l haven't had a crash or anything with mavericks. Maybe I'm just lucky, lol

So you either don't use Gmail or don't use mail groups. Both are broken.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    zoolook wrote: »
    I've had a very slow finder since going to mavericks. When in Logic or any other app, clicking 'save as' brings up the dialogue box and you get the spinning wheel while it tries to figure out what's in that folder or directory. Same when using finder. That's with an SSD, so it's not the HDD, I've seen others with the same bug in 10.9. Roll on 10.10...

I got the impossibly slow Finder window within apps issue during all the Betas (which I even mentioned on this site last year) but that went away for me when the official version launched. I still don't know why Apple can't do Finder as smoothly as the clunky Windows Explorer. As best as I can figure they seem to want to load all the metadata and large file images before showing you anything.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I still don't know why Apple can't do Finder as smoothly as the clunky Windows Explorer.

Rather, what did they change between 10.8 and 10.9, why did they change it, and why can’t they fix it?

Something tells me it has something to do with AppNap and hard drives spinning down far too often.

• Reply 19 of 37
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

"please spam me and comb my emails for targeted advertising" free email services like gmail

Hey, is Yahoo Mail like that?

OS X's Mail app plays nicely with Yahoo Mail's IMAP servers; I never use webmail for Yahoo Mail or any other e-mail service.

I haven't actively used my Gmail account for years, although I occasionally empty the trash, junk mail, etc.

• Reply 20 of 37
    Rather, what did they change between 10.8 and 10.9, why did they change it, and why can’t they fix it?

Something tells me it has something to do with AppNap and hard drives spinning down far too often.

I haven't used a spinning drive in my Mac since this song was popular.

[VIDEO]

(Clearly I'm exaggerating but I couldn't think of something that fit that's about 6 years old)