iPod software update?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there one out? I want the new features!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    I'm sure it will be out soon. Probably they're putting finishing touches on it - the new iPods won't be out for several weeks yet...

As others noted, hopefully an AAC update will soon follow.

The question is, how badly do I want to upgrade from 5 gigs to 20?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    Someone on MacCentral linked to the Apple Australia page:

<a href="http://www.apple.com.au/ipod/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com.au/ipod/</a>;

which includes this image:

so it must be nearly ready.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    would the 5 gig ipod get all the features from the new firmware update?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Actually, I want the new firmware AND a shot at one of those snazzy little remote deals. Anyone know if they will work on the 5GB iPod I got from Apple a month ago?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    I do not see why the old 5 and 10 GB iPods would not funtion the same way. The new iPod's headphone/remote set works with it, according to their web page. I am too tired and disappointed in having to pay 100.00 for extra features I do not want or need to keep my mac.com address to look it up to post here. It is not too hard to find it off the new iPod page. The clock on the iPod seems cool to me. I do not see how it could not work from a battery and software, and so I think it should all function fine. You may run out of space faster, since they will market to the higher end iPod and add new feature from now on.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Yes, the remote will work on 5 gig iPods. $39. I've loaded down iTunes... nice and look forward to the new features for the iPod as well.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    anyone else seeing the ipod slowly developing into a pda? (I plan to get one of thoes new 10 gig they look sweet!)
  • Reply 8 of 16
    thresherthresher Posts: 35member
    I just bought a 10GB last week. It's going back to CompUSA (at a cost to me of about $80) for one of the new ones.

Dang it, I knew I should have waited.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I got a 5GB iPod about a hundred days ago (April 12th) so I figure I pretty much was just loaning the iPod for a dollar a day up until now and I just bought it for the full price of $299. The 5GB one is unchanged except for the price, so I don't feel too left out. If I had waited to get one, I would have probably gotten a 5GB one now anyway, even with the cool new features on the 10 and 20 GB ones.

I personally like the tactile feedback of the regular jog wheel. I don't think I'd like a solid-state touch-wheel that feels like glass.

I will be picking up one of those remotes with the improved earbuds, and I'll still have my old earbuds left over. Perhaps the little foam pads will stay on the new earbuds better? I won't count on it.

Hey, I've been wanting a clock almost since the day I got it! I have my phone numbers, now I can have a calendar and a clock.

The next step: now that the jog wheel is a solid-state touch thingy, maybe the next step will be to make the entire jog wheel area a touch sensitive and stylus input area. It would be all uniformly flat, with the buttons only printed on. Not great if you have to reach into your pocket to do things, but it's fine now that there's the wired remote. A small button is in the lower right that you press with the stylus to turn on stylus input. Now you can use inkwell handwriting recognition to input text. Press the button again to switch back to regular mode. That would be cool.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    i remember since when the ipod was released in october (?), everyone (nearly) was complaining about the damned high price.

now it's lowered to $300

are you all happy now? or do you now want the $400 one with all the extra features?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    the "extra features" should be implemented in ALL [including 5 gig] with a firmware update........ no?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I'm confused, will ALL iPods support AAC?

Also, I'm waiting for the PowerMac update before I return to Apple. So, if I get an iPod for my Win2k piece of crap, would it later work on my PowerMac? In other words, is the difference just a matter of software on one's computer?

eirik
  • Reply 13 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by crombie914:

<strong>anyone else seeing the ipod slowly developing into a pda? (I plan to get one of thoes new 10 gig they look sweet!)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Except one problem: no method of text entry outside of the computer.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    DUH! I just took a closer look at the new iPod site at Apple.com. It says the 1.2 firmware update is due out early August.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    hirhir Posts: 66member
    This guy has an idea for entering text or notes into the ipod. check out his <a href="http://www.engsoc.org/~hfchan/ipod/"; target="_blank">site</a>.

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: hir ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 16
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    [quote]Originally posted by hir:

<strong>This guy has an idea for entering text or notes into the ipod. check out his <a href="http://www.engsoc.org/~hfchan/ipod/"; target="_blank">site</a>.

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: hir ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

kinda cool, but i've got better ways to waste my life away.