Questionable screenshots from China claim to show TextEdit, Preview, Healthbook apps in iO...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Well, IMO It makes perfect sense to add Text Edit and Preview to iOS. Both of these Mac apps store documents in iCloud, and there is No built-in way to view or edit them on iOS. There isn't even a way to view or edit them on iCloud.com. Right now, its serves no purpose other than storage in the cloud, and syncing across multiple personal Macs.

I would be very, very happy to have Text Edit and Preview on iOS. Especially Preview. iBooks has never elegantly handled PDF's and does not make any sense to have PDF's stored inside there. In fact, I often forget that it even does, and I'm sure the average user does too. And TextEdit, I use quite frequently on my Mac for quick documents and notes throughout the day. Why don't I use Notes? Well, aside from the lack of formatting and stupid UI....the Yellow sucks.

• Reply 42 of 65
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

With the prediction of a 5.7" display this rumor lost all credibility for me.

This is just TRASH TALK !!!

• Reply 43 of 65
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    What pmz said, especially about how iBooks is a bad place for PDFs. Apple might be trying to get iPhone users to encourage switchers to the mac. About 90% don't use the mac. If you think this is fake why did the faker bother with one properly designed icons and two bad placeholders. And why add an icon for something we have heard about a lot, with 2 icons for something not mentioned anywhere? The very fact that some people don't understand why Preview or TextEdit is there speaks to the authenticity of it.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    malax wrote: »
    Can you give an example of this?  I've been using my iPhones and iPad for a few years now and really haven't felt constrained by the lack of a Finder-like file viewer.  But then I don't use my iPad as a laptop or desktop replacement, and I'm ok with that.

I often use different apps to edit a picture. I have to save the picture to the camera roll every time to reopen it in another app. That may be the app's fault, but a large majority of pro editing apps don't send directly to other apps.

I might feel the need to open a certain picture with a certain app without knowing where I edited it last. Once I find it, I still need to send it to the proper app. Certainly this is something useful or computers wouldn't use file browsers anymore. Of course tablets are for other uses, but I still think that a very basic file browser (like the 'all files' on Mac) would still fit perfectly on a tablet.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    I hope they don't go bigger...I like my 5S they way it is. If I want a bigger screen, I'll use my iPad. I don't want to hold a Phablet up to my ear! I dedicate a pants front Pocket to my iPhone and anything much bigger would be too big for my Pocket.

I hope they maintain their commitment to "One Hand Use" so it would still fit my needs.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Has Apple used Mac icons on iOS as placeholders in the past?
    I would guess so since many final icons have been simular

dmarcoot wrote: »
    Also, Textedit is a leftover from Next, its an afterthought to Apple and has never been of use for marketing in 14 years since OS X was first released.

There is absolutely no reason for them to push it as feature today when it hasn't been modernized in all that time.

Preview is also of no use on iPhone. Preview of what? The image you have in Photos or iPhoto which already display your image?
    Text edit would be good when they port there OS-X apps for developers on IOS, is it worth it now, no.
    Preview does a whole lot more than photos however, and if these apps were real I would not be surprised to see the too merged.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Wait, every single internal beta has a slightly different Springboard image to distinguish exactly which device it’s running on? :lol:

That sounds exactly like something Apple would do, but I know they’re not doing it. 

Steganography is very cool, and there are quite a few FOSS tools that would serve them well. I doubt Apple is that paranoid though.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

Also, Textedit is a leftover from Next, its an afterthought to Apple and has never been of use for marketing in 14 years since OS X was first released.

I think every OS, particularly a unix system like OS X, needs a simple editor for editing plain text files. Textedit serves that purpose. Plain text is the only universal file format since it's nothing but a string of bytes interpreted according to the ASCII or Unicode standard. Text is also fundamental to unix, as most system configuration is stored in human-readable text files. When I want to write a quick note to myself, I don't want to fire up a heavy program like Pages or MS Word and save my thoughts in some opaque binary file format that may or may not be readable ten years later. I normally just use Textedit, which, besides being very light on system resources, has the added benefit that the files I create can be easily processed with the standard unix tools, which are well-adapted to manipulating text streams.

• Reply 49 of 65
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Well, IMO It makes perfect sense to add Text Edit and Preview to iOS. Both of these Mac apps store documents in iCloud, and there is No built-in way to view or edit them on iOS. There isn't even a way to view or edit them on iCloud.com. Right now, its serves no purpose other than storage in the cloud, and syncing across multiple personal Macs.

I would be very, very happy to have Text Edit and Preview on iOS. Especially Preview. iBooks has never elegantly handled PDF's and does not make any sense to have PDF's stored inside there. In fact, I often forget that it even does, and I'm sure the average user does too. And TextEdit, I use quite frequently on my Mac for quick documents and notes throughout the day. Why don't I use Notes? Well, aside from the lack of formatting and stupid UI....the Yellow sucks.

iBooks already has PDF viewing. The Previewer would make sense if we're talking about PDF Forms. Hooking that up with iCloud, along with TextEdit.app iCloud that allows publishing standard Epub output would be great.

• Reply 50 of 65
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

I think every OS, particularly a unix system like OS X, needs a simple editor for editing plain text files. Textedit serves that purpose. Plain text is the only universal file format since it's nothing but a string of bytes interpreted according to the ASCII or Unicode standard. Text is also fundamental to unix, as most system configuration is stored in human-readable text files. When I want to write a quick note to myself, I don't want to fire up a heavy program like Pages or MS Word and save my thoughts in some opaque binary file format that may or may not be readable ten years later. I normally just use Textedit, which, besides being very light on system resources, has the added benefit that the files I create can be easily processed with the standard unix tools, which are well-adapted to manipulating text streams.

TextEdit.app support HTML 5, CSS, RTF, RTFD, TXT and can be used directly as a Code Editor. It also outputs Word 97, if I'm not mistaken. Voice Dictation included. Includes ODF support as well.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2523

It's been evolving over the years and even in it's NeXTSTEP/Openstep period did a lot more than just TXT files. RTF/RTFD, has been their from the beginning.

• Reply 51 of 65
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    They are pushing the idea of Preview and TextEdit because they can save to iCloud. But I don't buy that as proof

I suspect that the Healthbook thing could be kind of correct. Like Passbook it won't likely be an app but an view of bits from apps. What I would like to see if for them to take both 'books' and add a newsstand spin in them so the apps rest in a folder 'under' the front screen.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    Looks legitimate to me. I'm looking forward to having icons retrofit for my iphone :)

It's not blurry enough for a spy photo ;)
  • Reply 53 of 65
    malax wrote: »
    Can you give an example of this?  I've been using my iPhones and iPad for a few years now and really haven't felt constrained by the lack of a Finder-like file viewer.  But then I don't use my iPad as a laptop or desktop replacement, and I'm ok with that.

I'm surprised they aren't demanding the root console in an Xterm window and Ctrl key for the iOS keyboard. Because Unix. Or something about a "real OS."
  • Reply 54 of 65
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    [QUOTE]A centralized place where all my files are displayed is essential. No need for more than one level folders. Give the user the possibility to see all the files he owns on every device and filter them as usual, like in the 'all files' section in OSX. That would be great because sometimes it's faster to just look for a file and select the app to open it rather than going into an app to transfer it to another app.[/QUOTE]

Why? There's no need for another layer of confusion. People don't miss what they don't need. Each app handles the files it needs. Let me ask you, when you pick up your iphone or ipad, what is the first thing you think about? I would bet what functionality you want to use, not what file you want to search for an app to open.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Quote:

A centralized place where all my files are displayed is essential. No need for more than one level folders. Give the user the possibility to see all the files he owns on every device and filter them as usual, like in the 'all files' section in OSX. That would be great because sometimes it's faster to just look for a file and select the app to open it rather than going into an app to transfer it to another app.

Why? There's no need for another layer of confusion. People don't miss what they don't need. Each app handles the files it needs. Let me ask you, when you pick up your iphone or ipad, what is the first thing you think about? I would bet what functionality you want to use, not what file you want to search for an app to open.

Not to mention that such a file manager would likely not be useful because of the way iOS is designed. In iOS, apps can only send files to other apps or receive them passively from other apps; an app has no way of requesting files from another app. This is why to attach a file to an email, you must initiate the process from within the app containing the file instead of pulling up a list of files directly from the mail app like one would do in OS X or Android.

• Reply 56 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kkerst wrote: »

The why is simple. If it doesn't exist on an Apple product and does exist on some other product then Apple must include it.

It makes no difference that iOS is successful because it didn't make stupid decisions like adding Finder so uses could manage their own files or that others might have it because they never removed it because time is money so making the OS user friendly was less important than checking off a feature list.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

A centralized place where all my files are displayed is essential. No need for more than one level folders. Give the user the possibility to see all the files he owns on every device and filter them as usual, like in the 'all files' section in OSX. That would be great because sometimes it's faster to just look for a file and select the app to open it rather than going into an app to transfer it to another app.

While I don't disagree with the need for power users, that is NEVER going to happen in iOS.    iOS is all about hiding file systems and the like from users.    

• Reply 58 of 65
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    While I don't disagree with the need for power users, that is NEVER going to happen in iOS.    iOS is all about hiding file systems and the like from users.    

You are talking about another kind of more complex file system UI.
    Every iWork app uses a UI that displays files. Extend that simple UI to a single app that shows all files and indicates which apps can open them and that's all.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Would the storage access framework in Android fit your description?  It provides a central interface to display files from apps that are in the business of storing files, like Dropbox or Google Drive. You would see a file picker similar to the one below if, for example, you wanted to attach files in gmail.

(source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/31/kitkat-feature-spotlight-new-storage-access-framework-makes-opening-files-a-more-consistent-and-attractive-experience/)

• Reply 60 of 65
    I would love a Preview app. It would solve a simple problem that no 3rd party apps do.

Me too. At the moment, Preview documents in iCloud aren't available in iOS. And PDFs in iBooks don't sync via iCloud; they have to be synced locally via iTunes. A Preview app for iOS would therefore provide iCloud syncing for PDFs.