Ayone w/a Sony Clie-looking for your opinions about usability w/Mac

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm on the verge of buying a Clie for my GF. The thing is, the Clie is listed as PC only even tho it runs Palm4.

How has your experience been using a Clie w/a Mac? I know it can be done. I don't want to give her something that will cause headaches.

How do you DL data from the memory stick? Synch info, etc?

Thanks.

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I'm moving this to Digital Hub.

Check out <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=000237"; target="_blank">this</a> thread for some answers to your question.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I can't get a break. The other day, my PDA thread was moved into Gen Disc. Now this one is moved out. :confused:

Thanks for the link though.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Basically, the Clie will sync normally using Palm Desktop 4.0 for Mac. However, in order to get the extra features (mounting Memory Sticks on the desktop, etc.) you will have to purchase a third party program.

It's called "The Missing Sync" and costs about $50. Sony does not support the Mac, so a few enterprising programmers began writing their own software to get similar features the PC owners have on their Mac. This is the only way to get those features, and it doesn't look like Sony is going to change their tune anytime soon.

If you really want to make it easy on your GF, I'd avoid the Clie (even though they're extremely nice handhelds), and look at a Palm or Handspring device.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I bought the Clie. I'll buy the extra SW to make it as easy as possible. But, wen it boiled down to it, the Clie was SO much nicer than the Palm-twice the resolution, twice the memory, brighter screen, smaller, and just all around nicer.

Do you have a link for the 'Missing Sync'? Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    did u check the other thread '?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Keda:

<strong>Do you have a link for the 'Missing Sync'? Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>Google = "Missing Sync" = top of the list = or maybe if you ask Defiant, he will install it for you

- T.I.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    [quote]Originally posted by Keda:

<strong>Do you have a link for the 'Missing Sync'? Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Since I'm feeling generous...

<a href="http://www.markspace.com/missingsync.html"; target="_blank">http://www.markspace.com/missingsync.html</a>;
  • Reply 8 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by The Installer:

<strong>Google = "Missing Sync" = top of the list = or maybe if you ask Defiant, he will install it for you

</strong><hr></blockquote>

maybe...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Excellent! Thanks for the help. I've DL'd PalmDesktop and I'm going to buy the MissingSync 2nite.

Defiant will you come over and install it? I've got lots of beer.