.mac crapshoot

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I need to vent: what kind of email service *is* this? It was barely acceptable when i wasn't paying for it, and since iTools became .mac the email (which we all know was the most utilized feature) is never consistent. The servers are up, the servers are down. Webmail is up, webmail is down.

I paid my $50 because I needed a robust webmail client AND I had a lot of existing Homepages i wanted to keep AND, crazy me, I thought the service would improve if we were paying for it.

Well...there's no place to call, there's no way to effectively lodge complaints (that I've found) and there's almost no information.

It is sickening. Is anyone else in this boat? Any suggestions on what we can do to use our theoretical "leverage" as paying customers to get some service improvements, or do we just take it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Personally, there have only been two times when I could not get my mac.com email. But it is not my primary account (I use my ISP for that).

Speaking of my ISP, there have been a number of times when their email service was down, so it's the same all over.

Vent all you want. I'm sure you'll find many sympathetic ears. But I don't think .mac is a "crapshoot."

[ 10-07-2002: Message edited by: clonenode ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Here's the reason why .Mac has been experiencing trouble lately: <a href="http://www.macminute.com/2002/10/07/mac2"; target="_blank">http://www.macminute.com/2002/10/07/mac2</a>;
  • Reply 3 of 13
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    According to MacMinute, Apple has posted a note (that I can't find) blaming faulty equipment. They've also apparently said that they're in the process of switching vendors to replace the equipment.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Another article:

<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-961055.html?tag=fd_top"; target="_blank">CNet article</a>
  • Reply 5 of 13
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    From the Support page:

[quote]Dear .Mac Member,

We hope you haven't been greatly inconvenienced by the two .Mac network outages we've experienced in the past two weeks (including this morning) and we sincerely apologize for any problems you've experienced. The outages were the result of equipment failures, and since the equipment vendor has not been able to persuade us that the problem will not occur again, we've already begun installing new equipment from a different vendor.

We're completely back up and running now, and no data or mail was lost. We expect the equipment change over to be complete within the next several weeks, and we'll be working hard to ensure that there are no further issues during that time. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience while we make this transition, and if you do experience any difficulties, please go to <a href="http://www.apple.com/support"; target="_blank">www.apple.com/support</a> for up to the minute information and status.

The .Mac team<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 6 of 13
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Well, that mollifies me a little.

I hope that they start working harder on notifying their users of what is going on, but this is an improvement over blank silence.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    When was the last time Hotmail was down? I don't remember that happening, then again I just retrieve me mail 2 or 3 times a week. One should have thought appropriate testing was done before charging for these services. Blaming 3rd party is always pretty lame
  • Reply 8 of 13
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I got the Support page message in a .mac email today, so they're obviously aware they need to communicate.

I don't even bother using HoTMaiL any more: even with the filters turned up to max, it's full of spam in two days flat... oh, and this is an email address I don't give to anyone!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Hotmail is just a piece of crap. That's why I mentioned them
  • Reply 10 of 13
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I can't use hotmail anymore because I have 500+ messages in my Inbox. That's with my spam filter set on high!! :eek:
  • Reply 11 of 13
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Go.com was worse at it's height. 50+ spam messages a day. Then they shut the doors and the tidal wave slowed to a ripple. I never use that anymore, but it was worse than even hotmail and yahoo.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    is homepage really slow for anyone else right now also?