Panasonics dv702 or Sony's trv-27? ? ? ?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I like both Camcorders, jvc and canon have camcorders in the same range, but i don't like the canon shape, and i have read a whole bunch about color problems with jvc's. The Panasonic and Sony ones that I am looking at seem to be very nice.

Here is what I will be using the camcorder for:

Mostly, video, lots of it, tripod mounted, not many effects, and i want easy access manual control (panasonic -1)

We will also take still shots with it, we are looking for camcorders with very big zooms, so that we will not need to crop or zoom and the megapixel's will not be too much of an issue.

My dad is buying it, so he wants the big lcds. I dont really care, but the color viewfinders on both piss me off, what ever happed to black and white viewfinders??? The audio on both is probly crapful, but they have microphone plug in places.

I'm sorta biased against sony, because they are such a big company. Which company has a better reputations?

Are both of these camcorders easy to use( technically deficiant parents ) but with solid quasi-professional(everyone likes to think that there not clueless consumers, so dont brake my bubble!) features

Panasonic

Panasonic Model Name: PV-DV702 Other Names: Official Web Site: PV-DV702 Home Page MSRP: $899 Number of CCDs: (?) 1 CCD size: 1/4" Lines of Resolution: 500 Still Photo Resolution: 1600 x 1200 Tape Format: MiniDV Lens: 10X Digital Zoom: (?) 700X Illumination Rating: (?) Image Stabilization: (?) Digital Manual Control of: Shutter speed, focus, exposure Audio recording system: 12/16-bit stereo PCM Microphone: Stereo Inputs: FireWire, A/V, Mic Outputs: FireWire, USB, A/V, S-Video, Headphones Hot Shoe: No Memory Card supported: SD Memory (8MB card included) Viewfinder: Color LCD: (?) Color / 3.5" Dimensions (L x W x H, inches) 7.4 x 2.9 x 3.5 Weight (empty, grams) 580 g Battery Used: CGR-D08 Miscellaneous Notes: Stills are interpolated to 1600 x 1200. Has a zoom microphone. Supports analog line-in.

Sony:

Specifications: Manufacturer: Sony Electronics Model Name: DCR-TRV27 Other Names: Official Web Site: TRV27 Home Page MSRP: $999 Number of CCDs: (?) 1 CCD size: 1/4" Lines of Resolution: 520 Still Photo Resolution: 1152 x 864 Tape Format: MiniDV Lens: 10X Digital Zoom: (?) 120X Illumination Rating: (?) 5 lux Image Stabilization: (?) Digital Manual Control of: Exposure, focus Audio recording system: 12/16-bit stereo PCM Microphone: Stereo Inputs: FireWire, A/V, S-Video, Microphone Outputs: FireWire, USB, S-Video, A/V, Headphones Hot Shoe: Yes Memory Card supported: Memory Stick (8MB card included) Viewfinder: Color LCD: (?) Color / 3.5" Dimensions (L x W x H, inches) 6.5 x 3.0 x 3.8 Weight (empty, grams) 745 g Battery Used: NP-FM50 Miscellaneous Notes: USB Streaming turns camcorder into webcam. Super NightShot adds color mode for zero-light color recording. MPEG MovieEX captures video clip to included Memory Stick until it fills up (no arbitrary time limit).

Which one would you buy?

Which on should I buy?

Am I missing the big picture on this whole thing?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    go <a href="http://www.dvspot.com"; target="_blank">here</a>

part way down the page is a new sony camcorder coming this month....if you're dad is buying convince him to spend the bucks on this...looks great...(i have the sony tr-17...great camera)...g

go <a href="http://news.sel.sony.com/pressroom/digitalimages/photo?photo_id=125543"; target="_blank">here to see</a>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Ive had a canon zr10 for over 2 years and have had no problems with it, in fact i love that DVcamcorder.

The one thing i would consider first is the optical zoom,

get the highest you can afford, and let the other pieces fall in place. Most cameras come with alot of features anyway, and you can do all your editing on your mac.

but if it was me, I'd look for the highest optical zoom, because all the digital zooms suck after about 40x.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Yeah, the sony micro mv's look really sweet, thegelding, but i don't think that my dad is inclined to spend anything upwards of 900 dollors, not including the many accesories that will become apparent to him as soon as he sees that we need extra batteries and tapes and a case and stuff, he isn't really accepting that right now.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    recently decided, that whatever i get i will be astounded because i'm using trv-11's and and zr-10's for my current productions (title one is just about finished at 2.2 gig's) and i think that those cameras are doing just fine. Does it really matter which one i get?