Wtf is wrong with my HD / Why does it take forever to find the "woop" iChat sound

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there something wrong with my new PowerBook's hard disk? I know the seek time on these babies aren't anything to brag about, and I do have the 60GB model, but whenever someone sends me a message, or I send an outgoing one, iChat temporarily goes nuts with the beachball for about 4 or 5 seconds while it takes its sweet-ass time trying to find that damn sound. The same thing occurs when I drag a file to that trash; the sound takes 2 seconds to load, and gets slightly hung up. Is this normal?

EDIT: I should also note that I HAVE A WHOLE FRICKIN' GIGABYTE OF MEMORY TO STORE THESE SOUNDS IN, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: Steve ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Maybe your hard drive is spinning up and that is what the pause is. My second hard drive goes to sleep in a hurry, and when the comp goes to access either disk it has to wait for the 2nd to spin up.

note, when I uncheck the "put harddisk to sleep whenever possible" in energysaver it does not pause at all. Good luck
  • Reply 2 of 4
    imudimud Posts: 140member
    I had this problem before I think what I did was I had loaded the M$ media player and it hijacked the playing of .wav files or something.

I ended up just reinstalling everything except the media player and the problem went away. So I am not 100% positive thats what caused it but I hate M$ so it was easy for me to blame them

Just read MagicFingers fix and ya know when I reinstalled it would have reset any energy saver stuff I had set so you should check that first.

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: iMud ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Nope, I don't have hard disk sleeping checked.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you may want to move this on over to the Genius Bar, folks there might be more likely to have run into this before....