ripping cds/exact audio copy?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm ripping some cds for someone and they suggest using a program to like Exact Audio Copy. i usually just copy the tracks to my hard drive and burn the disc. i though this makes an exact dupilcate of the orignal? am i clueless?

anyone know one for Mac besides LAME which seems likeit might be a pain.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by burningwheel:

<strong>I'm ripping some cds for someone and they suggest using a program to like Exact Audio Copy. i usually just copy the tracks to my hard drive and burn the disc. i though this makes an exact dupilcate of the orignal? am i clueless?

anyone know one for Mac besides LAME which seems likeit might be a pain.</strong><hr></blockquote>

EAC runs on Windows only. It gives the best result when used w/ a Plextor drive. EAC can make an exact image of the CD. When you drag and drop tracks to your HD, there's no guarantee that you'll have a bitwise exact copy, due to the CD audio standard. EAC attempts to make its copy as exact as possible, using certain features inthe CD drives and reading the data more than once (Plextors are especially good for this, they have firmware optimized for ripping CD audio).

LAME is an MP3 encoder, you use it to make MP3s. I used to use it in conjunction w/ EAC, but nowadays, I find that iTunes is 'good enough' for making MP3s.

I haven't done any critical listening, mind you, but for putting my CDs onto my iPod, it's great. I use 224k VBR when I encode my MP3s. Plus, there's the hassle of moving the MP3s over to your Mac after you've ripped and encoded them on a PC.

[ 10-30-2002: Message edited by: nguyenhm16 ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 3
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    make a disk image using disk copy or toast. Then burn that.

The only other way is to have a burner and seperate cd drive, burning straight from the disk
  • Reply 3 of 3
    don't have time to figure out how to use disc copy. well i decided to use my wife PC and use plextor disc image, i assume this is the same thing and make an exact copy? i could do disc to disc i guess.

guess i need to get a new version of toast so i can hook my plextor drive up to my mac, so i can do disc to disc