adding iPod songs to iTunes Library!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I keep ALL my music on my iPod. I can't add it to the library. But I unchecked the Copy Music to Library in iTunes 3.0.1. What gives? This makes all the new iTunes 3 features useless, like sorting by playcount. This only works on songs in your library apparently, same with Smart Playlists. Is Apple aware of this and will it fix this? (Should I tell them?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here, because you're talking about two very different features.

The iPod will not sync music from itself to your Mac. It will only sync from the Mac to the iPod. That's how it was designed, to keep the record companies off Apple's back. This way, you can't sync up your library, then go to a friend's house and give them all your music for free.

The 'Move to Library' function in iTunes is a different feature. This will take any file you double-click on your Mac and move it to the appropriate location in your library, based on its content. In other words, if you download a song by Dave Matthews Band to your desktop and double-click it, iTunes will create a folder in your Library called "Dave Matthews Band", and then a folder in that with the album name for the track. Then the MP3 will be copied into that folder.

iTunes can't play anything that's not added to your library. However, things can be added to your library without them being moved to the iTunes Library folder. Just disable the 'move' feature, and the file will sit in its place, but be added to your "Library" in your main iTunes playlist file. Then you can rate it, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    No you CAN'T Do you own an iPod?

And you of course can play something not in your Library. Plug in an iPod to see what I mean. When I try draggin my iPod, a selected song on it, or playlist from it, onto the Library icon or one of its playlists, it just bounces back and nothing happens. Let me be clear: I'm not trying to copy songs, I'm aware of the Apple crippleware feature blocking that. I have Podmaster and someday I may try to hack iTunes to get rid of that block. I'm simply trying to "put" my iPod into my library, not physically put the songs on my hard drive. You know?

And if it's not in your Library, then in iTunes 3.0.1, you can't do those special features, like Rating, Playcount, etc.

Is this just me or is this a bug!?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So no one else is having this problem? I'll see if Jaguar fixes it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Well, if something is in the iTunes library, it exists as a file on your computer (unless you've removed that file or it is a radio station). I guess the feature you are looking for is just not there (send in an itunes request thing or something).

But, uh, ratings and playcounts stick on my iPod for files not in my library, don't know why you're having troubles with that.