Canon Scanner Going Back to the Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Don't be fooled by Canon info on their scanner boxes that show the nice "Built For OSX" icon. If you make the mistake of buying it you will get home and open the Box only to find out that it works in Classic mode and if you want Native mode you have to have Photoshop 7 for your scanner to work.

The instructions say... First Install Photoshop 7 sold seperately.

Then install the driver.

I am taking the scanner back tomorrow.

Canon lost my business.

This was not stated on the Box that the consumer sees in the store. This is a Game and should have never happened. Canon should print this data on the box and be honest.

Does anyone out there know of a nice scanner that is really OSX native compatible?

Thanks

Fellowship

[ 11-19-2002: Message edited by: FellowshipChurch iBook ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    check epson (1260 i think....driver is beta but supposively nice in X)...will look for link....g

and here is the <a href="http://support.epson.com/hardware/scanner/pr126_/index.html"; target="_blank">link</a>

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Canon released a separate driver for a bunch of their scanners at the end of October:

<a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprDriversTypeSystemV2.jsp?minisite=10000&type= Software&prodref=PS&subtype=Software&group_id=-1&level2catq=AllCats&x=2section=0&item=111&modelid =6623" target="_blank">Toolbox downloads</a>

Now the bad news: a bunch of the links don't work directly, so when you have to click on "I Agree (Begin Download)" you have to instead, right click or control click and save the link to your desktop (or wherever). Otherwise, you get a 404. More bad news: it's UI is ugly, it icon is too. But it works without Photoshop.

BTW, you don't need Photoshop 7 to use the Photoshop plug-in that came with your scanner. Any app that accepts PS plug-ins can use it, such as Graphic Converter and Photoshop Elements.

I don't like the fact that they don't use a TWAIN driver, and that their 4.1.1.0 version of Toolbox for OS X looks nasty and it doesn't recognize bundles -- so if you want to link any function to another app, you have to dig through the app's bundle into the Content:MacOS folder and find the actual executable in there.

It's just plain bad UE, but if it's too much trouble (as it was for me), you can work with what they have.

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Canon released a separate driver for a bunch of their scanners at the end of October:

<a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprDriversTypeSystemV2.jsp?minisite=10000&type= Software&prodref=PS&subtype=Software&group_id=-1&level2catq=AllCats&x=2section=0&item=111&modelid =6623" target="_blank">Toolbox downloads</a>

Now the bad news: a bunch of the links don't work directly, so when you have to click on "I Agree (Begin Download)" you have to instead, right click or control click and save the link to your desktop (or wherever). Otherwise, you get a 404. More bad news: it's UI is ugly, it icon is too. But it works without Photoshop.

BTW, you don't need Photoshop 7 to use the Photoshop plug-in that came with your scanner. Any app that accepts PS plug-ins can use it, such as Graphic Converter and Photoshop Elements.

I don't like the fact that they don't use a TWAIN driver, and that their 4.1.1.0 version of Toolbox for OS X looks nasty and it doesn't recognize bundles -- so if you want to link any function to another app, you have to dig through the app's bundle into the Content:MacOS folder and find the actual executable in there.

It's just plain bad UE, but if it's too much trouble (as it was for me), you can work with what they have.

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you much...

If mac has no vender support with a consumer product such as a scanner I will just wait until someone decides to get things in gear.

I am taking this scanner back and If I have to wait for 4 years I will wait. I am half tempted to keep the scanner for use with my PC running XP and just realize that Apple has serious problems with the way it works with third party vendors.

This = bad relations with their customers as well.

Fellowship

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: FellowshipChurch iBook ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 8
    To Canon's credit, they have pushed a few drivers and minor updates out the door. They seem to have the pieces in place (unless they are really planning on using TWAIN), they just have to pay better attention to us Mac users and clean up the ugly mess they have right now. I'd ask the rhetorical question "how hard can that be?" but for these hardware vendors, it's like pulling your own teeth.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    you can always check Canon's website, they have driver updates all the time.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    I have had a AGFA Snapscan for almost three years now. It does the job, and the driver has been updated for use with OSX. This scanner has taken quite a beating over the time I have had it, as I take it to all client sites, including a firecamp.

Unless you have a specific size needed (Mine doesn't fit on an Ivar keyboard drawer 'coz its too tall) then you might want to consider the snapscan series. I believe the newest ones have the one touch options as well.

Some of the newest ones have film adapters built into the lids.

I hope this helps.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Does Agfa still make scanners?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Found some drivers and will purchase Photoshop Elements 2.0 tomorrow so I am keeping my scanner. I downloaded VueScan and it seems to work so I decided I will go out and buy Photoshop elements.

Thanks for all your ideas..

Fellowship

[ 11-21-2002: Message edited by: FellowshipChurch iBook ]</p>