Canon LiDE 30 Scanner Please Help

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Anyone here have it? How do you use it on OSX native. I just went out and purchased Photoshop Elements 2.0 Today and can not get it to work for anything. How do you get the Canon LiDE 30 Scanner to work with Photoshop Elements 2.0 on OSX native???

I installed all drivers for the scanner and "toolbox" nothing works..

Please help

Much thanks

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    First, download the latest drivers from Canon's website <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprDriversTypeSystemV2.jsp?minisite=10000&type= Software&prodref=PS&subtype=Software&group_id=-1&level2catq=AllCats&x=2section=0&item=111&modelid =6623" target="_blank">here</a>. The Toolbox is version 4.1.1.0 and the driver is 7.0.1.0. Each is about 4 MB or less. I had a problem when I clicked on the "I Agree - Begin Download" button in each case. I had to control-click on that choice and chose to download the link to my hard disk because just clicking the link gave me a 404 error.

1. First install the Toolbox. Launch the Installer application and just follow through the installer's installer (how stupid is Canon?) and then the real installer. That should be straightforward.

2. Next, download the driver. Decompress the download and launch the installer app. It will prompt you for where you want to install the driver. It has to be installed in two places:

a. To work with Photoshop Elements, it has to be installed in the Photoshop Elements' Plug-ins folder, specifically in the Import/Export folder.

b. To work with the Toolbox software, you have to install it in the Toolbox's application folder, in the "Plug-ins" folder.

Browse to choose each location, and then just click OK.

3. For Photoshop Elements, go to File: Import: ScanGear 7.0.1.x. That will bring up the scanner dialog. I recommend using the advanced mode (looks better anyway), it's not that hard and has a lot more choices.

4. For the Canon Toolbox, open that ugly icon with the four arrows inside the Toolbox application folder. (I whipped up a better icon if you want it. ) You have to set which, if any application you want to associate with each setting. For example, I have Mail linked to the e-mail button, TIFFany linked to the scan button, and my Epson linked to the copy button. In order to link these applications to the buttons, click on the buttons in question in the Toolbox window. A dialog pops up with the choice to link applications at the bottom. Click on "Set?" and find the application you want to use.

Now comes the really dumb part. The Toolbox doesn't understand what application bundles are. Where you would otherwise see the application icon in the Applications folder, it sees a folder in its place (with the same name as that application). Go inside that folder, then inside the Content&gt; MacOS folders. In the MacOS folder is where the "real" application lies. Choose that, and you should be set.

Try using the scanner buttons, scanning some stuff from inside Photoshop, and through the Toolbox dialog.

Write back if you have any questions or problems. I have the same setup, and went through a lot of frustration figuring this one out. Good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I would add one additional note. There's something in Classic that conflicts with the Canon drivers. Whenever Classic is running, I get some kind of error when I scan. I have to shut Classic off. I have a basic extension set in Classic, but I haven't been able to find out which extension conflicts.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>First, download the latest drivers from Canon's website <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprDriversTypeSystemV2.jsp?minisite=10000&type= Software&prodref=PS&subtype=Software&group_id=-1&level2catq=AllCats&x=2section=0&item=111&modelid =6623" target="_blank">here</a>. The Toolbox is version 4.1.1.0 and the driver is 7.0.1.0. Each is about 4 MB or less. I had a problem when I clicked on the "I Agree - Begin Download" button in each case. I had to control-click on that choice and chose to download the link to my hard disk because just clicking the link gave me a 404 error.

1. First install the Toolbox. Launch the Installer application and just follow through the installer's installer (how stupid is Canon?) and then the real installer. That should be straightforward.

2. Next, download the driver. Decompress the download and launch the installer app. It will prompt you for where you want to install the driver. It has to be installed in two places:

a. To work with Photoshop Elements, it has to be installed in the Photoshop Elements' Plug-ins folder, specifically in the Import/Export folder.

b. To work with the Toolbox software, you have to install it in the Toolbox's application folder, in the "Plug-ins" folder.

Browse to choose each location, and then just click OK.

3. For Photoshop Elements, go to File: Import: ScanGear 7.0.1.x. That will bring up the scanner dialog. I recommend using the advanced mode (looks better anyway), it's not that hard and has a lot more choices.

4. For the Canon Toolbox, open that ugly icon with the four arrows inside the Toolbox application folder. (I whipped up a better icon if you want it. ) You have to set which, if any application you want to associate with each setting. For example, I have Mail linked to the e-mail button, TIFFany linked to the scan button, and my Epson linked to the copy button. In order to link these applications to the buttons, click on the buttons in question in the Toolbox window. A dialog pops up with the choice to link applications at the bottom. Click on "Set?" and find the application you want to use.

Now comes the really dumb part. The Toolbox doesn't understand what application bundles are. Where you would otherwise see the application icon in the Applications folder, it sees a folder in its place (with the same name as that application). Go inside that folder, then inside the Content&gt; MacOS folders. In the MacOS folder is where the "real" application lies. Choose that, and you should be set.

Try using the scanner buttons, scanning some stuff from inside Photoshop, and through the Toolbox dialog.

Write back if you have any questions or problems. I have the same setup, and went through a lot of frustration figuring this one out. Good luck!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I realized today what I did wrong...

I made a copy of the icon that executes the program Photoshop Elements. The flower icon. I should have made an alias instead.

The program appeared to work when I clicked the "Copy" I made but was missing almost all the guts of the Program. That is what confused me to no end.

Now that I click on an Alias of the icon the entire program works LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHA STUPID ME!

As for the buttons I have not calibrated them as of yet but will soon.

Thank you so much for your help on the matter. I am very happy to have it working now

Is really cool to have a scanner powered by the USB cable and it is one inch thick to boot.

Love the scanner.

Fellowship
  • Reply 4 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The scanner is pretty good for its price and size. If they made a more refined Toolbox, it would be indispensable.

One other very minor note I found about working with the Canon driver in Elements: if you open the import/scanning window and try to close it immediately, that is, without touching any other buttons, it will crash. Obviously, that doesn't mean much except it throws an error dialog at you, and it's obviously avoidable anyway if you just don't do that.

[ 11-23-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    i dont think this scanner works in OS X unless you have photoshop (or elements). i can only scan thru PS7. but it is a good scanner for the bucks.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The (kinda crappy) Toolbox, version 4.1.1.0, lets you scan without Photoshop. My scanner didn't come with the (OS X native) Toolbox app on the CD, I had to hunt it down at Canon's website a couple of weeks ago. It scans fine, it's just clumsy.

[ 11-25-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>