Cool! Lots of hidden iTunes visualization controls

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just found out something pretty neat while playing around with iTunes. I had the visual set to full screen and I discovered when I bumped the q key that a little display appeared in the top right of the screen. It had some words that I didn't really understand... but after playing around some more I found out that if you press Q and W, it will change the look of the little lines. A and S will change the background effect, and Z and X will change the color scheme. That's pretty cool... then I found out that if you press N it will switch between "Normal" colors and "High Contrast" colors. M will switch between random mode, user configured mode, and freeze mode. So if you see a visual you really like and you don't want it to go away just yet, just press the M key until it says something along the lines of "freeze effect." Finally, there's a thing that explains all this if you press H... it's a bit of a help dialog. Apparently you can make up to ten preset visuals and assign them to the various number keys, and then use the M key to switch to a slide show of your custom ones or the number keys to go to a specific one. Pretty cool! I haven't taken the time to go through and make any custom ones yet, but it's kinda neat and I think I'll have to do that sometime.

Also, pressing the F key will toggle the framerate display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Yeah man, I once read in a review of iTunes that you couldn't manually adjust the visualization. Bullshit! (I usually just leave it on factory setting anyway)

You know what would be cool? "Flurry" like visualizations...you know like the screensaver?

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: ShawnPatrickJoyce ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think it would be cool if there you could make custom configs and then save them and post them places like <a href="http://www.resexcellence.com"; target="_blank">www.resexcellence.com</a> . With some tweaking I was able to get a visual that looked quite different from anything I'd previously seen... there are so many possible configurations (color, background, and lines) that it's quite easy to make something you've never seen before.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Post it! That's a cool idea.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Good thread here! I accidentally found this out a long time ago too. I wonder why there isn't a better interface for this almost "hidden" feature?