Palm Connection

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
One of my friends just gave me a palm pilot, and it doens't say what model it is. All i know about it is that i want it to hook up to my mac, but its connector is a *pc term* "com" port. Is there a converter or a way to rig it up so i can use it

on the back it says palm pilot professional if that helps, perhaps an old model or do they all say that

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    could it be an old serial type port? my mom's old "palm pilot" connects with one of those. my dad just bought her a brand new PEG-SJ20 B/W CLI? Handheld. usb, no less.

• Reply 2 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    its not a serial (if by that you mean the type that looks like an ADB port) it looks more like a monitor connector, i think it has 15pins, i'll ahve to look
  • Reply 3 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

<strong>its not a serial (if by that you mean the type that looks like an ADB port) it looks more like a monitor connector, i think it has 15pins, i'll ahve to look</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah it is a PC-Style serial port...

you can find an adapter for like $10-$15 they are around... they are Pin-for-pin identical to regular (mac) serial ports... only the shape is different...

there is a USB-PC Serial adapter out somewhere too

try keyspan...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>

yeah it is a PC-Style serial port...

you can find an adapter for like $10-$15 they are around... they are Pin-for-pin identical to regular (mac) serial ports... only the shape is different...

there is a USB-PC Serial adapter out somewhere too

try keyspan...</strong><hr></blockquote>

i'll check it out, i'll check out staples too...will OS X automatically sync with it, and how can i find out what model it is?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    For god's sake, becarefull of the keyspan serial adapter. After installing it with the palm desktop software, on my friends cube, it was kernel panic city. Everything had been smooth sailing for 3 months after a clean install.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I have that in one of the pci slots of my B&W G3.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    can somone get me a link to it from a site (serial--&gt;usb), because i'm not quite sure what i'm looking for, name wise

also can you get one from like staples/bestbuy/radioshack? (just places closer for conveinence)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    for the amount of money you'd spend on the adapter, you may as well buy a Palm Zire! It'll sync much faster, hold more contacts, have a better screen, weigh less, be smaller and you won't have to worry about issues like kernel panics.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    they are all between 25-40! i'll wait another alittle longer and buy a zire! that is gay