Hi Speed GSM with the t68i, Anyone make it work?

newnew
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
That is the question.

There seems to be no modem scripts supporting this. The stupid Apple knowledge base tells me to use a 19.2 T39 script.

But the T39 28.8 v110 script gives me a faster connection, but not the promised 38,4 speed that hi speed GSM supports...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by New:

<strong>That is the question.

There seems to be no modem scripts supporting this. The stupid Apple knowledge base tells me to use a 19.2 T39 script.

But the T39 28.8 v110 script gives me a faster connection, but not the promised 38,4 speed that hi speed GSM supports...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought High speed GSM was dead. I remember learning about it first time I worked for a mobile company. Since then all the talk has been about GPRS.

Isn´t it about using more cells if they are available (like using two 9,6 cells getting 19,2, three getting 28,8 aso)? If the traffic is anywhere as heavy as here then you probably won´t access more than a couple at the time even if you get the right script.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Actually hi speed GSM is as fast as GPRS, at least in theory. And with GPRS prices being what they are, I'll stick with GSM at the moment. I only use GPRS for WAP, which is the only use for it that doesn't cost insane amounts of money.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Oogh. Use the right acronyms, please.

GSM is the network technology that your phone uses. Not any kind of internet connection. CSD, or Circuit Switched Data, is basically dialup for mobile phones. HSCSD is enhanced, high speed CSD service to bring the speed from 9.6kbps to 28.8kbps or so. GPRS, or Global Packet Radio Service, is digital data sent in native packet form at high speeds, it's always on, and it's instantly on. Same speed in theory. Yes, it's also fairly expensive in comparison.. the cheapest out there (T-Mobile) is about $2/mb on average (i.e. 20MB for $40/month), but there are different packages. WAP over GPRS is less expensive, however limited to what you can do, there are packages where you get 10MB of WAP browsing and 300 SMS for $9.99.

Them's the breaks for large-scale wireless broadband internet. It's gotten cheaper, though, so keep hope alive.

And the T68i works with HSCSD and GPRS, if you have enough signal strength with that thing. (Horrible RF compared to other phones.)

[ 01-03-2003: Message edited by: bradbower ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    HSCSD is normally marketed as high speed GSM here and it really describes what it is about. It bundles more lines/connections just when you use two ISDN connections with your fixed line. The only place I see the HSCSD name is on the phone manufactors pages.

It is right that HSCSD is cheaper than GPRS in theory. But like with a POTS or ISDN modem you also pay for the idle time with HSCSD. And because GPRS uses the available capacity on the net more effective your speed will "always" be higher with GPRS.

And GPRS doesn´t have to be that expensive. The last company I worked for have a plan that only costs ¢70 per MB (You pay per MB and not for a package).

But I agree the big advantage with GPRS still is when you have to be online always (or at least very fast online) but only need a small amount of data (prime examples email and light wap use).

But still neither GSM or GPRS is ready for the internet senior experience yet. I was probably the first ever to look up AI on Microsofts Smartphone. It took ages before the page loaded (okay this was a prototype so the browser probably wasn´t optimised but it was not an early prototype. I tried it a couple of weeks before it was announced) and I checked the amount of data transferred :eek: . You have to be equally rich to browse AI with GPRS as you have to be to buy the products you read about
  • Reply 5 of 5
    For access via GPRS on my t68, I use the script for "Ericsson Infrared", as according to Ericsson tech support they are compatible.