How do I cange from NTSC to Pal as default in iMovie

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My version of iMovie is stuck in NTSC, how do I change it to Pal, I can't see any settings to change this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    I found that it had a small problem with this, when the dvd region settings contradicted what you wanted. I never pursued this however, because i dont use iMovie often. If this helps great, I would like to figure out this problem too though.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    The problem is that the default is NTSC, if you plug in a DV source iMovie changes automatically to that format. However, if you want to import a .dv file that is Pal you can't do it because iMovie defaults to NTSC and says the file you are importing is in the wrong format.

help.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    [quote] My version of iMovie is stuck in NTSC, how do I change it to Pal, I can't see any settings to change this? <hr></blockquote>

Hi Addison,

You have to plug a PAL DV camcorder in and select new project. When I first got my imac I went to use it for making advanced photo slide shows and had to make them in NTSC as I didn't have a camcorder. If this is your problem I can email you an empty PAL imovie folder. It's only a few k and you just open it to start a PAL movie project. Apple could have done it better though I think

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: Proxy ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    [quote]Originally posted by Proxy:

<strong>

Hi Addison,

You have to plug a PAL DV camcorder in and select new project. When I first got my imac I went to use it for making advanced photo slide shows and had to make them in NTSC as I didn't have a camcorder. If this is your problem I can email you an empty PAL imovie folder. It's only a few k and you just open it to start a PAL movie project. Apple could have done it better though I think

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: Proxy ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you that is very kind. It is not necessary, as I can do that myself. However, this is just a stupid way of working, why on earth isn't there a preference where you can set the default codec/format.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Perhaps the problem will be addressed in iMovie3 coming to a Software Update Panel near you soon.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    There is a small 1 frame pal movie that someone put up on a site (I can't remember where it is, google will help you), you import this and then delete it then add the rest of your movies (imported or whatever) and it stays in Pal format.

iMovie force Pal or somefink...