PDA Sales Slump In 2002

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
PDA sales slump in 2002 on slack corporate demand

NEW YORK (Reuters) ? Handheld computer shipments slumped in 2002, as an expected boom in demand from corporations failed to materialize, according to an industry study released on Monday. Worldwide shipments of personal digital assistants, or PDAs, the pocket-sized digital companions that can store thousands of appointments, contacts and notes, fell 9.1% to 12.1 million units in 2002, according to Dataquest, a unit of research firm Gartner.

"The more lucrative enterprise market has been stagnant because of poor economic conditions and a perception that PDAs are not yet capable of delivering sufficient return on investment," said Todd Kort, principal analyst for Gartner Dataquest's Computing Platforms Worldwide group.

He estimates that about 70% of all PDAs are purchased by consumers and only 30% by enterprises.

More than 20 million PDAs have been sold in just over five years, sparked by early enthusiasm over the gadgets. But consumers, lacking compelling reasons to upgrade, have not hungered for newer models in the same manner.

Manufacturers had pinned hopes on corporations buying the devices in bulk to outfit their staff with a powerful means to take work on the road, and to allow users to communicate with their offices. But the global economic slowdown forced most companies to reassess technology spending plans.

"A lack of significant progress in wireless PDA technologies has resulted in some companies waiting to purchase these devices," said Kort. "The enterprise market is still another year away from embracing PDAs."

Palm, the dominant maker of handheld computers, saw its shipments decline 12.2% worldwide in 2002. Still, the 4.4 million units it shipped last year were double the shipments by its nearest competitor, and more than the combined total of its five closest competitors.

Palm device shipments represented 37% of the overall market, Dataquest said. Palm also continues to lead the market for the software that powers handhelds, with a 56% stake, compared with rival Microsoft's 26%.

Hewlett-Packard, the No. 2 maker of handheld computers, shipped 1.6 million units in 2002, down 27% from the year before.

Sony vaulted to No. 3, on a 351% jump in shipments, to 1.3 million units. Conversely, Handspring, which shifted its focus away from handhelds toward mobile phones, shipped only 698,000 PDAs, down 49%, Dataquest said.

Dell Computer, which stirred the handheld computer market late in the year with the introduction of its first line of PDAs, shipped 54,000, according to the study.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Steve Jobs is right.

Phones with PDA Basics like Addressbooks and light note taking will erode the basic PDA's marketshare. Consolidation of gadgets is always natural evolution. The PDA has no "killer app" for the masses and that is killing it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Is it any surprise that PDA shipments have declined? There has not been a significant advancement of technology in years. Why upgrade when a Palm V from 3 years ago does nearly everything a Palm 515 does, without the color screen?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My Visor Delux is still all I need. 'cept for the fact that it's been dying on me
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    PDAs just aren't fun without the internet. And the only way to get that reliably is on a 2.5G/3G wireless network (i.e. it might as well be a mobile phone with these functions). So Mr. Jobs is turning out to be very right about his predictions regarding standalone PDAs.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Newton OS is a killer app!!!

(Sorry, I had to. I love my Newton)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Maybe it is because the PDA doesnt do as much as a laptop that hardly costs more than a PDA?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Macintosh:

<strong>Maybe it is because the PDA doesnt do as much as a laptop that hardly costs more than a PDA?</strong><hr></blockquote>

$100-200 vs. $1,000-$2,000 for a laptop? Not sure how you can compare that. Even to an iPod, at $300-500, which is a wonderful pod that plays music, and you can have little alarms on it, but you can't really come close to the functionality or interactivity of a PDA that costs hundreds less..