Upgrading iPods Hard drive???

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Could you buy a hard drive from toshiba or whoever makes the iPod hard drives and swap them. I have a 5 gig and was wondering if I could go up to 10 or 20. I just was thinking about it. How cool would that be.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I'd do it.

I imagine my warranty is gone by now...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I have't looked but I imagine that it would be quite difficult. I'd search around to look for disassembly instructions. I heard that the newer 10GB drives are smaller and perhaps similar to the previous 5GB drives.

[ I'll add, that while it might be fun to try as a science project it probably doesn't make economic sense. Previously, the 5GB HD alone cost just as much as the iPod. It would probably be cheaper (and much easier) to sell this iPod and buy a new one.]

[ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: neutrino23 ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Where are these drives available? I was under the impression that they were extremely hard to find....

-robo
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Well, I read about some guy doing it with a 20 a while back, but I do not have the link. He upgraded his 5 gig, and had pictures and everything. I could be mistaken and it could have been a 10, but I am pretty sure it was a 20. But as mentioned earlier, it probably would cost less/be safer to simply sell yours and get a new one. (Also you would get the cool touch pad thingy and all... )
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Though the iPod is really nice.

The lack of access to the drive is a significant shortcoming ...

Which is why I own a NEO Jukebox, it has an access door to the harddrive. I am currently upto 60GB. Because it is a standard laptop 9.5mm drive, I have been able to sell the replaced drive to someone with a laptop and recoup some of the upgrade cost. :cool:

[ 02-12-2003: Message edited by: MrBillData ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by MrBillData:

<strong>Though the iPod is really nice.

The lack of access to the drive is a significant shortcoming ...

Which is why I own a NEO Jukebox, it has an access door to the harddrive. I am currently upto 60GB. Because it is a standard laptop 9.5mm drive, I have been able to sell the replaced drive to someone with a laptop and recoup some of the upgrade cost. :cool:

[ 02-12-2003: Message edited by: MrBillData ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

If we want to carry a brick around, we'll ask you! (behind back: lucky bastard!)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    It would cost less to buy a new iPod. Apple buys the drives in bulk and gets a substantial discount on them. Retail price for you is probably going to be greater than the cost of a new iPod.

At least that is the way it was a year ago when the 10 and 20GB drives were announced.