Monitor Conundrum

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a sgi 1600SW LCD. It is married to a Formac Proformance3 video card. I love the monitor, but need to get rid of the card because it does not support any dvd functions: playing back or using iDVD or DVD Studio Pro.

So since the monitor has that funky LVDVI connector, I am forced to buy the sgi multilink adapter if I want to use the monitor with a DVI graphics card. The multilink sells on ebay for about $500.00.

So do I suck it up and buy the multilink along with a new graphics card or do I sell the sgi monitor and card and get the new 20? Cinema display and new card?

Obviously I could buy a lesser resolution monitor, I don?t need anything bigger than the 17?, but I have grown fond of the 1600x1024 resolution.

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Get the 20 inch. After 3 weeks you will know it was the best decision you ever made.

You will never be able to go back to anything less.

Pure heavan.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    The 19.1-inch Samsung 191T is a great monitor. It's bright, responsive, and inexpensive. I had to purchase a new monitor recently, and I was able to pick one up at Frys for $800. Was going to get a 17-inch Apple LCD, but I would have had to buy one of those $150 ADC-DVI adapters too. All the other 17-inch monitors were analog. Blah! The Samsung was a better deal in my opinion. It's silver, and supposedly the best 19-inch monitor on the market. The 1280X1024 resolution still allows me to view two word documents side by side.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Meh, don't get 19", 1280x1024 is found on pretty much all 17" LCDs and only few 19" screens go higher (more $$). Could actually get two 17" screens for $800 (I use a Samsung 170T which is $400ish now, good monitor, dvi and analog inputs, doesn't refresh as fast as the Apple HD display but better than the older LCDs where the blur was phenomenal.. so you can actually play fps games on this... the newer Samsungs probably refresh really well).

The 20" Apple LCD from what I understand uses the lower quality screens (found in the ibook, imac, 12"PB), whereas the 23" screen uses the higher quality ones (and from the 15" and 17" powerbooks). Not sure about the 17" apple screen.

The 23" screen is truly incredible though (roommate has one) however stuff is small at that resolution/size.

Though you could get 5 17" LCDs for a 23" screen...

I dunno, maybe a formac 20" LCD would be ideal for you?