Apple Pricing

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does Apple fix the prices on its products? What I mean is, an 20 gig iPod is 499, does that mean it will be 499 everywhere? I know that some companies like BOSE fix their prices so that they are all the same. The reason I was wondering is because Best Buy and <a href="http://www.bestbuy.com"; target="_blank">BestBuy.com</a> have them for cheaper right now.

Macaddict16

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I kinda thought they did, but I'm not really sure how that works, since some places you will see them for $1494 instead of $1499 (wow, big savings). $20 seems slighty significant for a $400 item...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I think that Apple has a minimum advertised price. So it's essentially a fixed price. There are lots of companies like that (oakley for one). It sucks for bargain shoppers. But it makes the buying decision a ton easier. :/
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    &lt;note&gt; companies don't have to follow Apple's MAP(minimum Adv Price) because Apple forcing them on pricing would be illegal. However if you adv Apple products below MAP then you will lose any co-marketing dollars from Apple generally. This is why large chains can advertise lower whenever they want because they are not beholden to comarketing dollars.