Used Mac Mini Issues Please Help

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited March 2014

Hi!

I am completely computer illiterate so please, if you respond, explain it to me in simple terms! Thanks!

Just bought a Mac Mini with the specs below off eBay to plug into my tv to use for watching Xfinity and HBOGo but when I plugged it all up the screen gets scrambled where the headings are all jumbled together at the top, and all the sites look really, really outdated and weird. I wanted to download Firefox as well, since I have that on my MacBookPro, but it won't let me do that either. I am so confused! If anyone can help (in simple terms!) I would very much appreciate it!

silvermoon

I am the original owner of this upgraded (by Apple) Mac Mini G4, with 512 MB of RAM, an 80 GB hard-drive, Bluethooth, and dual-layer Superdrive (plays and burns both CD-ROM and DVD-ROM).

This package includes ALL original Apple software (including OS 9 Classic, OS X 10.3" Panther"), along with the power-supply and a DVI-VGA adapter (so you use a standard SVGA monitor with the Mac Mini).

It comes with Apple iLife.

Details:

The Apple Mac mini G4/1.42 features a 1.42 GHz PowerPC 7447a (G4) processor with the AltiVec "Velocity Engine" vector processing unit and a 512k on-chip level 2 cache, 512 MB of 333 MHz PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory (512 MB after July 26, 2005), an 80.0 GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive, a slot-loading 4X DVD±RW/CD-RW "SuperDrive", and an ATI Radeon 9200 graphics processor (4X AGP) with 32 MB of DDR SDRAM.

Connectivity includes DVI (DVI-to-VGA adapter included), USB 2.0, FireWire, and a headphone/line out jack, as well as support for AirPort Extreme (802.11g) and Bluetooth.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3

Can you try a "regular" computer monitor first and report the results?  Also,  what is the TV you are trying to use?  It may be a resolution compatibility issue.

• Reply 2 of 3

Hi!

Thank you so much for responding! Unfortunately I do not have a regular monitor, we work off MacBooks. Is there another way to test the resolution issue?

Thanks!

• Reply 3 of 3

No, there may be others on this forum who can help.  

Did you know that HBOGo is available on a $99 Apple TV?  Plus you can mirror your MacBook if it has a fairly recent OSX with this capability.  Finally you can connect the Macbook to the TV with a cheap adapter cable available fron eBay and such.