New MacBook Air update imminent

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2014
I went to a Best Buy in Issaquah, WA to look into buying an open box 13" MacBook Air. I assumed the open box item would be a customer return but much to my surprise, it was a display MacBook Air on sale as open box item. I inquired about buying a new 13" MacBook Air and was told it is now a deleted item and they no longer have it in stock. The salesperson helpfully told me that they are expecting a new model real soon to replace the deleted model.

It sounds like a new MacBook Air model will be released very soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    kharvel wrote: »
    I went to a Best Buy in Issaquah, WA to look into buying an open box 13" MacBook Air. I assumed the open box item would be a customer return but much to my surprise, it was a display MacBook Air on sale as open box item. I inquired about buying a new 13" MacBook Air and was told it is now a deleted item and they no longer have it in stock. The salesperson helpfully told me that they are expecting a new model real soon to replace the deleted model.

It sounds like a new MacBook Air model will be released very soon.

I can't imagine Apple releasing a new and improved MBA without a high degree of fan fair. There are no special Apple events scheduled and their WWDC is a long ways away.

I suspect they are wrong or maybe it is just a minor silent refresh (a slightly faster processor).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    irun262 wrote: »
    I can't imagine Apple releasing a new and improved MBA without a high degree of fan fair. There are no special Apple events scheduled and their WWDC is a long ways away.
    They have done it before.
    I suspect they are wrong or maybe it is just a minor silent refresh (a slightly faster processor).

That would be new and improved wouldn't it? By the way Intel appears to be part of the problem here, much of new and improved could focus on RAM and the SSD.

In the end I wouldn't call it a silent refresh, they will resort to the net and other means to raise consumer awareness.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    It if doesn't have a better display, who cares.

And, if it were to have a better (retina) display, I'm sure it would call for a special media event.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    irun262 wrote: »
    It if doesn't have a better display, who cares.
    Well you have a point there!

Honestly I'm hoping the new Air means a new Mini is also coming.

And, if it were to have a better (retina) display, I'm sure it would call for a special media event.

They still don't need an event. However it isn't even April yet so they could send out invitations to the media anytime now. Even so I don't see them getting all worked up over media events like they use too. Not for minor product tweaks they won't.