Black IceBook

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
G'day folks.

I was hoping to call upon the expertise of some of the resident artists and such in the creation of a Black iBook.

I don't want to simply paint the iBook (as can be found here <a href="http://www.jrhillandcompany.com/miniti/gallery.html"; target="_blank">http://www.jrhillandcompany.com/miniti/gallery.html</a>; and here <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/ibook_mods/ibook_paint_mod.html"; target="_blank">http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/ibook_mods/ibook_paint_mod.html</A>; ) I had the idea of painting it black from the INSIDE.

I read somewhere that you can use a paint thinner to remove the white insides and make the acrylic shell totally transparent (can't find link anymore). I had an idea to then paint the inside a matt black, therefore making the iBook glossy black.

Since I still don't have my iBook, I don't know if that can be done with the bottom plastic and the wrist rest area. I was also thinking, if they are the same, of exchanging the iBook white keyboard with a TiBook black one.

What do you guys think? Will it just be blotchy white/black or is it possibly to make a totally black iBook? What materials (what type of paint) would I need?

Thanks!

[edit by Amorph: Fixed overlong URL/broken UBB]

[edit] would scratches on the plastic casing be even more apparent with a black background? I would think so

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: ZO ]

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    You can use 99% isopropyl alcohol to dissolve the paint on the iBook. This includes the lid, the bottom, and the batter cover (I think.)

You can get 99% isopropyl alcohol at pretty much any drug store.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Why would you wanna paint your iBook? The white is really great looking.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    While you CAN paint almost all the surfaces on the iBook whatever color you wish I do not think it is possible to swap it out with a Ti keyboard. I may be mistaken but they're slightly different sizes as the Ti is wider than the iBook.

Just my $0.02

Mac Guru
  • Reply 4 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Guru:

<strong>While you CAN paint almost all the surfaces on the iBook whatever color you wish I do not think it is possible to swap it out with a Ti keyboard. I may be mistaken but they're slightly different sizes as the Ti is wider than the iBook.

Just my $0.02

Mac Guru</strong><hr></blockquote>

Really? Thi Ti Keyboard seems the same (just in black) as the iBook's keyboard.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    ti keyboard = charcoal grey
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Well from looking at it, they keys for one are layed out differently on the Ti so I don't know what kind of an issue that would be, and then from my observations from a side by side comparison is that they are different sizes. If someone with access to both would like to measure them....

Mac Guru
  • Reply 7 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>ti keyboard = charcoal grey</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that's what I meant.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    markmark Posts: 143member
    Hmm. Is there more information on the web about customizing i(ce)Books?

If it turns out to be a relatively simple affair, I may be tempted to finally buy one - then paint it a beautiful deep cadmium yellow.

/prepares for cries of outrage...

Cheers,

Mark.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Mark:

<strong>...paint it a beautiful deep cadmium yellow....</strong><hr></blockquote>

has someone been watching The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross?

Make sure to make all your trees look like happy trees...
  • Reply 10 of 19
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    the original iBook and the Pismo keyboards were interchangeable. There were many people that had the 'steinway' PowerBook... all black with white keyboards.

Hoping to do something like that with my future iBook.

Unfortunately its gonna have to wait until January. All Mac stores here don't have Combo QWERTY models anymore and will take at least 2 weeks to order. By that time I will be on holidays... and by the time I get back, MacWorldSF will be 3 days away and so I will just wait and see what goodies will be released then. Who knows... I might get bewitched by an iMac2 instead. Then again, I need portability since I will be travelling a lot.

Does anyone have any idea what type of paint to use for the insides of the shell? Any special treatment?

thanks again
  • Reply 11 of 19
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I am buying an iBook in the next few days, and will probably have it, and my Ti Book at the same time for a day.

I'll try swapping and let you know.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I am buying an iBook in the next few days, and will probably have it, and my Ti Book at the same time for a day.

I'll try swapping and let you know.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    MURBOT NO!!

NO!

You will NOT buy another computer!

NO! BAD MURBOT!

-robo

(sorry about the outburst... AI oldtimers will get it )
  • Reply 14 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by robo:

<strong>MURBOT NO!!

NO!

You will NOT buy another computer!

NO! BAD MURBOT!

-robo

(sorry about the outburst... AI oldtimers will get it )</strong><hr></blockquote>

And the iBook is just so he can wait until MWSF to get a Tower.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    ... or an iMac...

It's also so I have a Mac for the iPod I'm getting from my wife for Christmas. I'll be damned if I'm going to have an iPod sitting on my desk for a month with no means to load it with music!!

Hey robo, you sound like my wife... without the expletives.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    the Apple store I go to just had a promo day with substantial discounts and I was incredibly tempted to get the only QWERTY keyboard iBook they had, which was a DVD model. They then offered an external Lacie Pocket CDR for about 400$ extra.

I was very tempted, but then stood fast and decided to wait until January and get the all in one Combo. Dammit, I was so damn close to buying it today!!! Plus there was a 100$ discount today. Damn damn damn. I guess its better to wait a little longer and get what I really want rather than not.

They had the TiBook and the iBook next to eachother, and looking at the screen size differece really hurt. The fact that they had a 22inch CD a few feet away didnt really help either. Damn, every time I see the ADC I am in love. It was connected to a lowend 733Mhz G4 with an additional 15inch StudioDisplay and they worked perfectly togetehr. I had iTunes at full screen on the 15inch tft and playing around with corel office, full screen movie trailer going, etc on the 22inch. Damn, G4s rule as well as OS X.

I can't wait to get my damn combo iBook.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    markmark Posts: 143member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>has someone been watching The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross?

Make sure to make all your trees look like happy trees...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've never seen that program; maybe it doesn't air where I live.

Being a painter myself, I often refer to colors by their art-supply-store names, which might sound unusual...

Cheers,

Mark.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: Mark ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Mark:

<strong>

I've never seen that program; maybe it doesn't air where I live.

Being a painter myself, I often refer to colors by their art-supply-store names, which might sound unusual...

Cheers,

Mark.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: Mark ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's usually on your local PBS station - I catch him once in while.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, you can't miss him...that HAIR!

But they're reruns, because he died from lymphoma a couple of years ago.

I hope he's in happy little heaven...

I learned more from watching his show than I EVER did from any art class.

His <a href="http://danspage.virtualave.net/bobross/bobsobituary.html"; target="_blank">obituary</a>