Here's my shot at what Giga Wire is....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think Giga Wire is possibly Apples attempt to be the first to bring the next generation of broad band to the home. I have a in-law who works for a company called Pemstar. This company is a front runner in the latest generation of Fiber Optics. He said they are bringing to market 10 GBps Fiber and that 50 GBps would be released within the year. The biggest problem in implementing this latest technology is getting the Fiber to the "last mile". According to him this will start happening soon. In my neighborhood it is happening right now. They're laying latest generation Fiber and it is being designed to be ready to take to the home. It may take a year or so for this to be seen in most metro areas, but this is a good sign.

I think it could be some type of mega broad band designed to bring it into the next generation G5 or later. I wouldn't bet on this in January for sure, but maybe within the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    That would be interesting, but how is it Mac specific? Also, are you suggesting Apple would use Earthlink as the service provider?

Fiber Optics is just the next step in high speed data transfer, but is in no way (as far as I know) platform specific. Furthermore, I don't believe it needs any special hardware. Basically what I'm saying: what does this have to to specifically with Apple?

- Pook
  • Reply 2 of 9
    And who would actually use even a fraction of 50 Gb/s? I mean, i have 512KB cable, and i use about 1/10th of that on average.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Sounds good . . . but what would be the point? As we've seen recently, even lowly cable broadband companies can barely keep themselves afloat. The last mile isn't the only problem. The infrastructure for bigger "pipes" right now has zero profitability. In fact, there's so much "dark fiber"* out there that nobody can touch without losing money.

*Fiber optic cable installed but unused.

Screed ...I want to believe -- but there's no money in it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Gigawire's trademark application includes the following description ?

[quote] Telecommunication services; cellular telephone communication; Communication by computer terminals, communication by telephone, facsimile transmission; providing of electronic mail (E-Mail); computer aided transmission of messages and images; communication between computer peripherals and devices; information about telecommunication. <hr></blockquote>

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: murk ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by sCreeD:

<strong>Sounds good . . . but what would be the point? As we've seen recently, even lowly cable broadband companies can barely keep themselves afloat. The last mile isn't the only problem. The infrastructure for bigger "pipes" right now has zero profitability. In fact, there's so much "dark fiber"* out there that nobody can touch without losing money.

*Fiber optic cable installed but unused.

Screed ...I want to believe -- but there's no money in it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The "dark fiber" is, I am told, out dated. They won't touch it because you can't use it for anything that's "coming down the pike". This is why we are seeing the new fiber being laid.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>And who would actually use even a fraction of 50 Gb/s? I mean, i have 512KB cable, and i use about 1/10th of that on average.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have you heard of video on demand? This IS going to happen. DVD's won't be around forever and the production studios would rather you pay per each time you view. To get a streaming HDTV you would need a 50 GBps to make this possible.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by PookJP:

<strong>That would be interesting, but how is it Mac specific? Also, are you suggesting Apple would use Earthlink as the service provider?

Fiber Optics is just the next step in high speed data transfer, but is in no way (as far as I know) platform specific. Furthermore, I don't believe it needs any special hardware. Basically what I'm saying: what does this have to to specifically with Apple?

- Pook</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't believe this will be platform specific. This may be the introduction of a new standard just as Fire Wire was when it was introduced. Nobody has any type of input connection currently and Gigbit Eithernet isn't going to be it. The RJ-45 connection isn't going to work. It will take some type of optical connection (Similar to Toslink) to the computer and it will have to be standardized.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Here's a guess, but can GigaWire be software? Like "limewire?" Maybe Apple has some sort of online service up their sleeves, maybe IM and other things? Integrated with iTools?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I doubt - very highly - that Apple will go into the IM business. They don't want tobe a monopoly.

Anyways, if you give us 50GB/sec, we can find a way to use it. Have you ever wanted to have video phones? I mean real ones - with huge displays that look as good as a DVD? And party calls? All over the net.

Why worry about compression of streaming media if people can download it uncompressed?

Boom - WebTV sounds very different now.

Andrew