Question about Windows 95 protocals

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here's the deal. On my computer in English we have downloaded things off of Kazaa. Usually you cant do this and sound doesnt work but we managed to log off the school network and get it to where we could do all this. I came in today and the sound does not work. How have they disabled it? I checked the sound properties and the sound device says its working properly, so what could they have done? I'm not an expert on Windows so I need to know how they changed it so the sound doesnt work. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    In the lower right hand corner, there's probably a golden megaphone. See if the sound is muted.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    uh does it have speakers and/or a soundcard? Also what type of file is it, you are using some sort of player to play it so look inside the application for a volume control as well.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong> I checked the sound properties and the sound device says its working properly, so what could they have done? </strong><hr></blockquote>

A quick note on windows 95 and the device properties. The device could be on fire, in a pool of acid and suffering a nuclear meltdown and windows 95 would report it as working properly. That being said, check the speakers, check for the sound being muted and/or for the volume control being down. If al lis well there they may have removed the sound codecs for using sound, except you will typically get errors when this is done. Ahrd to tell with the very little bit of information given here.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    What do I look like here a retard? The sound was not muted I checked that. I checked the volume and put it way up and got no sound. They did something to disable it so we can't listen to music so I wanna know what they could've done.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Of course it has speakers and a soundcard. Like I said, it was working fine and today when I came in, it was gone, no sound.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Actually, a Real Jukebox install killed the sound on a friend's computer after he rebooted. He had to reinstall the OS.

Maybe the same thing has happened here?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    No. We did nothing to the computer in the time span. The reason it doesnt work is because the teachers or tech people or whatever saw we had all these songs on there and decided to disable the sound. They do this with the computers in the library because Kazaa is on like every single one.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    If you have any idea what type of sound card it is, look at the OEM's website or under device manager you could download and reinstall the sound drivers since they may have removed some of them. Look under device manager and ensure that all the necessary pieces are there. Also under the sound control panel remember there are multiple volume levels that can be muted. In your case ensure the levels of the overall sound as well as the wave and/or directsound is not muted as well. Does playing a music cd work?