Keynote script on apple homepage?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an artful and well thought out marketing campaign, the recent Macworld-related slogans on Apple's home page would be more that just one-liners tossed out there and forgotten. The taglines would be part of a larger, thoroughly planned, ongoing CAMPAIGN that would introduce these themes with a bang and then repeat the messages later so they stick in our little mac buying brains. While some have been looking for clues in these taglines, I would suggest that we are possibly getting more than a clue or two. Apple may be subtly handing us the whole Macworld keynote script with these taglines. Accordingly, the keynote would be built upon seven key announcements. The seven daily homepage countdown taglines would provide the headings for each of the seven major announcements. If this were indeed the case, and taking into account rumors from around the web, one could speculate what the keynote script might be.

SJ: Welcome. We have a lot of really amazing things to show you today, so lets get right to it...

This One Is Big. Even By Our Standards.

New, slightly larger cinema display.

Count the Days, Count the Minutes, Count On Being Blown Away.

This is a pre-announcement of some kind. (Photoshop? G5?) We’ll be counting the days and minutes until it ships.

Beyond The Rumor Sites. Way Beyond.

Some kind of hardware announcement that has been heavily discussed on rumor sites. To me, "beyond" hints at innovative design, new features, or unique implementation, not necessarily speed. (iMac? G5? PDA? Rackmount Servers?)

Backstage Pass to the Future.

Preview of Mac OS X 10.2. (Possibly to be released in the near future or when the OS X clock hits 12:00?)

Just my guess on the whole ordeal. This also seems to put the hype into better perspective, if each tagline is addressing an individual product rather than the event as a whole.

Part of me thinks this all makes perfect sense, while part of me thinks Apple would never give this much away on their homepage.

My hope is that Sunday's homepage says "One More Day. One More Thing."

Really digging all the speculation...

Paul.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by paulumos:

<strong>In an artful and well thought out marketing campaign, the recent Macworld-related slogans on Apple's home page would be more that just one-liners tossed out there and forgotten. The taglines would be part of a larger, thoroughly planned, ongoing CAMPAIGN that would introduce these themes with a bang and then repeat the messages later so they stick in our little mac buying brains. While some have been looking for clues in these taglines, I would suggest that we are possibly getting more than a clue or two. Apple may be subtly handing us the whole Macworld keynote script with these taglines. Accordingly, the keynote would be built upon seven key announcements. The seven daily homepage countdown taglines would provide the headings for each of the seven major announcements. If this were indeed the case, and taking into account rumors from around the web, one could speculate what the keynote script might be.

SJ: Welcome. We have a lot of really amazing things to show you today, so lets get right to it...

New, slightly larger cinema display.

This is a pre-announcement of some kind. (Photoshop? G5?) We’ll be counting the days and minutes until it ships.

Some kind of hardware announcement that has been heavily discussed on rumor sites. To me, "beyond" hints at innovative design, new features, or unique implementation, not necessarily speed. (iMac? G5? PDA? Rackmount Servers?)

Preview of Mac OS X 10.2. (Possibly to be released in the near future or when the OS X clock hits 12:00?)

Just my guess on the whole ordeal. This also seems to put the hype into better perspective, if each tagline is addressing an individual product rather than the event as a whole.

Part of me thinks this all makes perfect sense, while part of me thinks Apple would never give this much away on their homepage.

My hope is that Sunday's homepage says "One More Day. One More Thing."

Really digging all the speculation...

Paul.</strong><hr></blockquote>

nope. that would just be stupid.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I like the idea.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    tmatma Posts: 76member
    [quote] I like the idea. <hr></blockquote>

Me to.. I'm sure there will be at least some ties with the apple.com tag lines.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    I think you may be correct...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>

nope. that would just be stupid.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey, way to be supportive

-- ShadyG
  • Reply 6 of 14
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    It makes sense and clearly some thought went into each day's slogan. But we might be looking to deeply into it and 7 products (based on the number of slogans by Monday) seems like a lot.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    I don't think Apple is trying to make the taglines have so much meaning in them. They're just little tidbits to generate some hype so people tune in.

Would you say Intel's "Center of your digital World" marketing is really a conspiracy message that they are planning to take over the world? I would hope not.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>It makes sense and clearly some thought went into each day's slogan. But we might be looking to deeply into it and 7 products (based on the number of slogans by Monday) seems like a lot.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who said they have to be products?

A message could be for somthing like a Photoshop bakeoff, or some new way of looking at speed. Also, they dont have to be new either. They are ust taglines that will be inserted into the keynote speech. How many things are mentioned in the keynote? Certainly more then 7 and most of them are not new products...

-Paul
  • Reply 9 of 14
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Hey, that's not a bad idea!

Not sure if it will happen.. (7 announcements is a lot for Apple)

But the idea isn't so far fetched. I could see Apple doing something like that, but maybe only will 3 or 4 phrases...
  • Reply 10 of 14

<strong>

------

Thanks for your well-reasoned and thought provoking reply. You?ve really opened my eyes.

I just do not see Apple randomly selecting phrases that are designed to simply blow as much smoke up our asses as possible. The marketing moves they?ve made over the last several years have all been very carefully planned out and choreographed.

There is precedent for specific keynote announcements being hinted at on the homepage. The "Pro Go Whoa" on the Apple homepage before an earlier keynote hinted directly at the three major announcements at that keynote. Same with the cookie, shopping cart, and screwdriver icons in '97. They did not randomly select three objects to pique curiosity; they were directly related to the keynote.

There are probably a million or so people out there who want to know what ?Big even by our standards? means. Apple would be wise to link people's curiosity (and the curiosity about each slogan) directly to knowledge about a new product.

Sticking with my theory from a couple days back, my updated guesses:

New cinema display.

This is a pre-announcement. Possibly Photoshop? Not an apple product but central to the platform.

New iMac.

Preview of Mac OS X 10.2.

To Boldly Go Where No PC Has Gone Before.

Gigawire? Tablet? PDA type thing?

Full Speed Ahead: Lust Factor Ten

Upgraded PowerMacs. New lust-inducing design. Default booting in X.

Paul.
  • Reply 11 of 14

<strong>

Clearly, you have very little understanding about how good marketing works.

This idea is probably the most well-reasoned and appropriate explanations around. And yes, the impact over the course of the next year would be tremendous if they used these tags in their advertising.

I think I only question the "To Boldly Go Where No PC Has Gone Before" line. Yes, it could very well be a tablet. This is as good an explanation as any. I wonder if this refers to GHz? Has any PC shipped over 2GHZ yet? Wishful thinking probably.

Anyway, great thought on the 7 days, 7 announcements explanation.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Intel will be shipping at 2.2 Ghz.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by paulumos:

<strong>Thanks for your well-reasoned and thought provoking reply. You?ve really opened my eyes.

I just do not see Apple randomly selecting phrases that are designed to simply blow as much smoke up our asses as possible. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hahah. Thank you for that.

I agree totally--Apple would be stupid for not having any concrete connection once they've wired these slogans into our rumor-obsessive little heads. Once again that pesky "logic" stuff completely evades MichaelM8000.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Mike,

I agree with you. this is stupid. forget about these people