PM G4: It is Apple's Fault

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yep. I admit it. I am one of the people that is hugely pissed at Apple for selling overpriced and underpowered pro machines. The apologists say:

1) It is really Moto's fault. Apple doesn't make the chips.

2) GHZ gap is a myth. The machines are close to x86 in terms of real world performance.

3) The design and OS make up for the speed gap.

But I say: Bullshit!

My point is this. Let us say that we go back in time, to the start of the speed dump debacle. Now, MOT screwed Apple...we know that. But this brings me to the first mistake Apple made....

1. Not giving a small price break on the slower machines to people that had already ordered them.

This sucked. They pissed ALOT of people off with that one. Now, let us move on. When, at MWNY 2000, we still had no true speed increase...only DP's....Apple screwed up again by:

2. Not improving the other specs on the machine, such as RAM/BUS speed.

At MWSF 2001, we finally got a speed bump after 18 months at the same speed. But once again, Apple blew it by:

3. Not improving the motherboard and HD and pulling the dual config machines

Finally, we just had MWNY 2001...one of the most disapointing shows ever, IMO. Apple got a little more speed out of the chip but again:

4. Left the damn MB alone AGAIN, while still charging high prices.

My point is this. I can forgive the MOT fiasco, as much as those weasels piss me off. What I can't forgive is Apple not improving the other specs in a major way, especially the MB. Sure, they threw in gigabit ethernet....but they are still at PC133 and ATA/66.....and charging the same price. Had they updated everything else in the machine we might actually have hardware that IS as fast then x86....speed gap or not. But they didn't, and we don't.

So, Apple. Here we are. You said this MW was going to be the most exciting ever. What do you plan to do about the PM???

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    corvettecorvette Posts: 561member
    iAgree
  • Reply 2 of 17
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Very good points. ATA66 is years old. ATA100 is already being replaced with the ATA133 system pushed by Maxtor. Once Apple finally upgrades to ATA100, ATA133 will be mainstream and some other new technology will be looming. Why is Apple always a few steps behind?

Same with memory architecture. PC133 is pretty much budget/value architecture. PC2100 is the good stuff, with DDR 333 (PC2700) looming. And Apple is still using crappy old PC133.

Graphics, again, Apple screws us. They tout how fast the GeForce 2MX is in their "high end" PowerMacs. The GeForce 2MX is nVidia's BUDGET chipset! The GF2MX is the crappiest out of the MX, GTS, Pro, Ultra, GeForce 2 Ti, GF3 200, GF3, and GF3 500. They are not high end graphics cards at all. And according to nvnews.net, the GF4 is currently planned for a February release. Watch Apple upgrade to a GF3 in a few top end models, and the rest of the world has already moved to GF4s.

And how about 5PCI slots? Like the budget PC motherboards out there?

I know each of these technologies will only boost overall performance by 10% or less, but when you add them all up, it's easy to see why Macs are surpassed in many areas of performance.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    PowerMac G4 line is a joke.

it doesn't come close to living up to its name. they have the specs of a midrange 1200-2000 model yet are priced like workstations.

It needs to be addressed
  • Reply 4 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>PowerMac G4 line is a joke.

it doesn't come close to living up to its name. they have the specs of a midrange 1200-2000 model yet are priced like workstations.

It needs to be addressed</strong><hr></blockquote>

Holy shit we agree on something! Actually that has been happening more lately

:eek:

BTW, 800 posts?!?!? GDAMN!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Finally a reasonable thread about PMs. If Apple had gotten say a 5-10 percent boost in overall speed on each the factors discussed above. Graphics card, memory system, and HDD sub-system. PM's might be clock for clock about 20-30 % faster than they are now. That's significant. Critical really, when you're loosing ground on the CPU front nearly every month.

Lets hope the 7th is a good show.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Then go buy something slse.

SdC
  • Reply 7 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>Then go buy something slse.

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree with Mr. SdC. Instead of people spending hundreds of hours BITCHING about the mhz gap, and talking about "Apple BETTER do _____ or I'm buyin' a Dell!" why don't people just get it over with and buy a frickin' Windows machine? If all you care about the the clock speed of your machine, then I hate to tell ya, but you're on the wrong Forum.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I agree with everybody except the last 2 posts. I have a yikes! G4 400 and in the 2 years since I've bought it, I don't feel that the new hardware is fast enough to justify my spending $2500. Apple needs to get their act together. When they say "this one is big, even by our standards," I wouldn't be surprised at all if that meant a 200mhz speed bump to the "Power"Macs. I just hope that on Monday they finally get their act together.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 17
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    If Apple's attitude towards unsatisfied consumers was "go buy something else if you don't like our stuff", then they'd go bankrupt. Just because some people point out major shortcomings in a company's products doesn't mean they can't talk on a forum like this.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I 100% agree that the current PowerMac is a real joke.

It's just a fancy looking but extrememly overpriced box.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>If Apple's attitude towards unsatisfied consumers was "go buy something else if you don't like our stuff", then they'd go bankrupt. Just because some people point out major shortcomings in a company's products doesn't mean they can't talk on a forum like this.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly. It's one thing to talk about going after the other 95%. But if you really want to get them you have to look at what they're buying and try to incorporate the same or better value into your own product.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    It's not apple's position (i'm pretty sure).

But it is mine.

Life is too short to whinge about stuff. If you see better value elsewhere, then pursue it. This goes for jobs, relationships, cars, food, and computers.

SdC
  • Reply 13 of 17
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member

<strong>It's not apple's position (i'm pretty sure).

But it is mine.

Life is too short to whinge about stuff. If you see better value elsewhere, then pursue it. This goes for jobs, relationships, cars, food, and computers.

True
  • Reply 14 of 17

<strong>It's not apple's position (i'm pretty sure).

But it is mine.

Wrong. We bitch because we love Apple design and the OS, but don't love the ridiculous pro line specs. We want to be able to run that great OS on a machine with reasonably good specs....we'll even pay more to do it.

We bitch because we care about the company. And it makes us mad when a company capable of producing superb stuff ****s up like this.

I'm not buying a PC. But I'm not buying a PM until they have reasonable specs either.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Its no joke that the PM line runs OS X and Mac apps better than any othe hardware available. They are fast machines. They could be faster but thats what MW is for.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>Its no joke that the PM line runs OS X and Mac apps better than any othe hardware available. They are fast machines. They could be faster but thats what MW is for. </strong><hr></blockquote>

They should've been faster a long time ago.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    double post

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>