Market oversaturation argument is bogus (IMHO)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have seen things like Apple will not release (PDA, MiniDV camcorder, still digital camera, gaming Box) because of the market is already chock-full of companies releasing products and resortoing to cuthroat price slashing as a way to swim to the top of the heap. Here is why I disagree (except for the gaming box which I will explain in a monment).

1. Most of the products out there are NOT that great. Apple proved with the iPod that it can take an existing product and turn it from ordinary to extraordinary. yes, it costs a lot, but considering it has firewire, acts as a stand-alone HD, has a very small footprint, etc. it blows ANY other MP3 player out of the water. Sure, there are devices with larger HDs, but they are the size of portable CD players, and use USB! Could you imagine filling up a 40 GB hard drive using USB? *shuuder.* That is almost as crazy as me trying to watch the keynote on a 56k modem!

2. Design. Most designs are boring. I think the Palms are ugly. Plus, build quality is not up to standard with Apple. We all know Apple's products will not only be feature-packed, but beautiful and sturdy. They are always standouts from the rest of the crowd.

3. These products WILL BE competitvely priced. Sure, they will be the most expensive on the market, but they will be the best. It would be like saying a Ford taurus is better than a Lexus LS400 or whatever their flagship is these days because "hey, they both have seats, engines, and wheels, AND the Taurus is $30k cheaper!" It is the intngibles that make the Lexus better. Better build and design, safer, more fun trinkets (GPS, CD Changer, better speakers, heated seats, moonroof, etc), more confortable, smoother ride, etc. Sure the taurus will get you where you want to go, and for someone that cannot afford a Lexus, hey I have no qualms if the buy the taurus, but come on, saying the Taurus is better than the Lexus, or the Rio is better than the iPod is just dellusional.

If Apple came out with a still camera or a PDA, I am SURE that they would be revolutionary IN THE WAY THE iPod WAS. Yes, they will be the most expensive product in the class, but dollar for dollar, feature for feature, the Apple will more than likely be the best. People are just lazy and look at price above anything else. I am not sure what they could do with a MiniDV camcorder...most are already stylish, have great features, use firewire, etc. but I am sure Apple could do something that would shock us.

The gaming box is just rediculous. There are already systems that have established themselves over the years with lots of developers behind them (nintendo, Sony). As much as I hate to say it, Microsoft has the muscle behind it to enter the gaming market late and be able to compete. I do not think Apple does (not in 2002 anyway). Plus, gaming systems (except the XBOX which has an ugly design IMHO) are well designed and the games look great...I do not think Apple could make such a huge leap in gaming that it would be worth it.

Anyway, if people were concerend over Apple surviving in a cutthroat market, why not just get out all together? I mean, look at the price wars with Dell and gateway and Compaq. God, every time there is a commercial break, you see a commercial for two of the three above. No to mention Apple has to compete with names like IBM and HP, and Sony as well. And one thing all those have going on Apple is that they all run the same software (Winblows). Following the logic that Apple could not compete in the Camera/PDA market is bogus IMHO becasue they are doing well enough in the computer market with expensive computers that are sometimes looked at as toys and the such by the drones at the superstores.

So I say, bring on a PDA or camera (still or otherwise! Seeing as I do not have either of these products, I would be first inline to buy it!)

Thoughts?

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Horned_Frog ]</p>