Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

Not to say that tagline is suddenly false, the T100 does come with Office H&S 2013 for free and the device itself can do quite a bit more than an iPad.

It's also quite a bit slower than the iPad (Air). And as a Windows machine, it's only average for performance and only suited to simpler tasks. And touch optimized Apps are scarce, making its use as a tablet, well, useless.

• Reply 102 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Or, as pointed out above, Android already has superior options.  The fact that Office Mobile is at #3 signals to me that iOS had poor alternatives.  This new version of Office Mobile is far from the best option on Android.

Please list these "superior" options. iOS had iWork, which is superior to anything Google has in Google Docs and also superior to anything on Android. So people aren't flocking to Office on iOS because of "poor alternatives".

• Reply 103 of 236
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Please list these "superior" options. iOS had iWork, which is superior to anything Google has in Google Docs and also superior to anything on Android. So people aren't flocking to Office on iOS because of "poor alternatives".

If iWork is so amazing then why would MS Office be the third most popular app?  That makes no sense.  If that's the case, then why are people "flocking to Office", as you say and the top apps chart would appear to confirm?

From what I've read on AI and other tech websites, iWork is indeed good and shows a lot of promise, but still had a ways to go to be able to compete with the big boys.  Maybe they've made large strides in the last few months?

• Reply 104 of 236
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Microsoft also announced that Office Mobile (iPhone and Android phone) are now free.

I decided to download it, even though I have no use for it. I just wanted to see if you can actually create Office documents. Turns out I was unable to even run the app because I apparently don't have an acceptable email address.

It says to get started enter a Microsoft email address or the email address of your organization. I entered my corporate email address but it was rejected. I entered in my iCloud address and that was rejected as well. I'm not sure how I am expected to use this app, if I can't get past the first screen of the setup process. Delete!

• Reply 105 of 236
    I guess lying through your teeth is fair game as long as that's what some want to hear. In which case, Apple is king. End of discussion!

I expect more from you, people!!!!!
  • Reply 106 of 236
    Quote:

If iWork is so amazing then why would MS Office be the third most popular app?  That makes no sense.  If that's the case, then why are people "flocking to Office", as you say and the top apps chart would appear to confirm?

From what I've read on AI and other tech websites, iWork is indeed good and shows a lot of promise, but still had a ways to go to be able to compete with the big boys.  Maybe they've made large strides in the last few months?

I'm still waiting for your list of "superior" Android alternatives.

iWork has been out for a long time, and is free with any new iDevice purchase, so it won't have a "spike" of downloads like you would with a newly released product (like Office).

Google Docs only had one big advantage over iWork, which is collaboration. And between Apple's first showing of iWork running in a browser and the iPad Air announcement Apple added collaboration. Google Docs is not very feature-rich if you want to create something beyond a simple spreadsheet or document.

• Reply 107 of 236
    Quote:

I'm still waiting for your list of "superior" Android alternatives.

iWork has been out for a long time, and is free with any new iDevice purchase, so it won't have a "spike" of downloads like you would with a newly released product (like Office).

Google Docs only had one big advantage over iWork, which is collaboration. And between Apple's first showing of iWork running in a browser and the iPad Air announcement Apple added collaboration. Google Docs is not very feature-rich if you want to create something beyond a simple spreadsheet or document.

So iWork has been out for a long time, is great, yet when an alternative comes out it spikes to #3 because why?  That is a signal that iWorks may not be as great for everyone else as it is for you.  If it works for you and does everything you need then by all means continue using it.  I'm certainly not here to try to tell you otherwise.

Google Docs also has one other big advantage over iWork that you failed to mention and that is compatibility with other OS's.  Last I knew iWork only worked on Apple devices.

• Reply 108 of 236
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

Of course, the T100 runs x86 Windows 8.1.  

Okay, I was making a joke based on the posters, but now I’m actually mocking that claim by saying HONESTLY?!

• Reply 109 of 236

Quote:

So iWork has been out for a long time, is great, yet when an alternative comes out it spikes to #3 because why?  That is a signal that iWorks may not be as great for everyone else as it is for you.  If it works for you and does everything you need then by all means continue using it.  I'm certainly not here to try to tell you otherwise.

Google Docs also has one other big advantage over iWork that you failed to mention and that is compatibility with other OS's.  Last I knew iWork only worked on Apple devices.

Oh FFS. iWork now works in browsers. Apple demonstrated it running in both IE and Chrome on Windows PC's. So now iWork is available on any device with a browser. Just like Google Docs.

• Reply 110 of 236
    Quote:

Google Docs only had one big advantage over iWork, which is collaboration. 

I'm not sure about Google Docs, but I thought it was part of Google Apps. I still use iWork, but Google Apps for Business, especially Mail and Google Drive are is really full featured and lightyears ahead of iCloud.

• Reply 111 of 236
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    droidftw wrote: »

1) [@]EricTheHalfBee[/@]'s remarks about spiking is sound. We see all the time. Do you think the number of Chrome for iOS downloads the first few days are inline with the number of people who are currently using it? I certainly downloaded it, tried it, but then went back to Safari. The same thing for many other Mac and iOS browsers.

2) Most apps have something they can do better than a competitor, and this is certainly true for iWork, MS Office, OpenOffice, and Google Docs. iWork was never as advanced as most of their competitors and that's even more true with their revision but I find it very constant and more pleasant to use over other options.

3) I believe iWork will work everywhere that Google Docs does.
  • Reply 112 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm not sure about Google Docs, but I thought it was part of Google Apps. I still use iWork, but Google Apps for Business, especially Mail and Google Drive are is really full featured and lightyears ahead of iCloud.

Mail and Drive offer more than iCloud for sure, but this article is about Office and similar packages, which means we're talking about the big 3 - word processing, spreadsheets and presentations.

• Reply 113 of 236
    Quote:

Quote:

Oh FFS. iWork now works in browsers. Apple demonstrated it running in both IE and Chrome on Windows PC's. So now iWork is available on any device with a browser. Just like Google Docs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

3) I believe iWork will work everywhere that Google Docs does.

Good to know!  Care to share the link to where anyone can go and use it?  I'm only finding a download for Macs on Apple's site.

EDIT:  Ah, thru iCloud I see.

• Reply 114 of 236
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Imagine if the contrary had happened and Office was first release on Android. People would say that :

- open always wins
    - you can do real work only on Android
    - it's a proof Android is better than iOS
    - Apple is doomed

Yet now I see no one saying that :

- too open is bad
    - you can do real work on iPad
    - iOS is at least as good as Android
    - Apple wins

More than 15 years ago when Steve Jobs introduces Office for Mac people said Apple was in a bad position and needed Microsoft to thrive. Now Microsoft introduces Office on iPad but it's them who absolutely needed to do that. Apple didn't care much.
  • Reply 115 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) @EricTheHalfBee's remarks about spiking is sound. We see all the time. Do you think the number of Chrome for iOS downloads the first few days are inline with the number of people who are currently using it? I certainly downloaded it, tried it, but then went back to Safari. The same thing for many other Mac and iOS browsers.

And I downloaded MS Office for Android to try it.  There's no doubt that tech geeks like us are going to test out the new options, but I just don't see that applying to the masses.  Much like how most users don't tinker with default settings when the default is good enough for them.

• Reply 116 of 236
    Quote:

Mail and Drive offer more than iCloud for sure, but this article is about Office and similar packages, which means we're talking about the big 3 - word processing, spreadsheets and presentations.

The way I work is not ideal because things are disconnected from one another. For example I use Google Apps Mail for business. I'm not sure if that is different than gmail or not but I like it a lot better than Apple Mail or web based iCould mail. For the occasional productivity app usage I still use iWork (the old version) on the desktop and for cloud storage I use Google Drive. It would be nice if Apple offered similar solutions because then I could use all Apple offerings but that is not the case. For me, all my productivity tasks are on the desktop. I almost never use iWork online or iOS. 

I would imagine most people aren't willing to put up with their productivity tasks including email, storage and office-like apps separated like I do which likely drives them to Windows and Office/365, One Drive solutions because it is all integrated with few limitations. From that perspective the release of Office for iPad is a godsend for many business folks because they love their iPads but need to be connected to the office without jumping through hoops.

• Reply 117 of 236
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    droidftw wrote: »
    And I downloaded MS Office for Android to try it.  There's no doubt that tech geeks like us are going to test out the new options, but I just don't see that applying to the masses.  Much like how most users don't tinker with default settings when the default is good enough for them.

That's an interesting point. How many people are just testing it v how many really want it? This time around, I didn't DL their iOS apps and I haven't used Office 365 on their online portal. I haven't even use MS Office for Mac in a couple years. It was one of the biggest deals in tech this week and I saw major outlets covering it. Perhaps tech geek is a widening and generalizing group as we get more and more people connected. That said, I don't know anyone locally that installed it.
  • Reply 118 of 236
    Many Android tablets are toys, that can be purchased for under $100 for children. Not too many children need Office. The iPad is the defacto standard tablet for business and K-12 education and all the primary software vendors are making apps for it. The K-12 educational publishers standardized on the iPad and have had their courseware contrnt available for the iPad for a few years already.
  • Reply 119 of 236
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

TechCrunch posted an article comparing the development process of an identical app for both iOS and Android. A good factual read particularly for those that only know what little they've heard in forum posts. IMO "fragmentation" is much less of a concern thatn it was even 6 months ago. There's other reasons bigger developers prioritize iOS over Android, not that most ignore Android anyway.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/16/the-state-of-the-art/?ncid=fb

Can always count on Gatorguy to "come to the rescue" of any product that is compared unfavourably to an Apple product in any thread, no matter what. 

From your link, which I assume the most favorable article towards Android you could possibly find on the subject:

Quote:

Apple’s is Xcode, which is, by and large, a joy to work with. It’s slick, fast, powerful, helpful without being intrusive, and it keeps getting better at papering over both the unheimlich compilation machinery beneath its glossy exterior, and the complex and paranoid certificate/profile machinery which Apple imposes on developers to retain its titanium-fisted control over iOS apps and devices. The debugger works seamlessly, and the simulator is fast and responsive.

But Android? Oh, Android. The current state-of-the-art IDE is Eclipse, customized with Android plugins, and it is embarrassingly bad. Slow, clunky, counterintuitive when not outright baffling, poorly laid out, needlessly complex, it’s just a mess. Its debugger is so clumsy that I find myself doing log-file debugging most of the time, whereas the XCode debugger is my iOS go-to bug-hunt tool. And the less said about the Android emulator, which takes minutes to launch and then half the time fails to connect to the Android Debug Bridge, the better.

Conclusion:

Quote:

iOS, and by some distance. Android has its advantages, but overall, it remains significantly easier to write good iOS apps than good Android apps. Combine that with the fact that iOS users tend to be wealthier–and arguably more influential–and it still makes sense for most startups who want to make a splash to go iOS-first, Android-later. The new Android Studio IDE could conceivably close some of that gap…but not all of it.

(For the record, my own primary phone is a Nexus 4, and I’m very happy with it.)

Yeah, sounds fantastic. Next time you Google "android development is better than iOS" or something, make you you actually read the article to see if it fits your agenda. 

• Reply 120 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

None of this pro-Apple talk makes any sense.  Almost no sane investor on Wall Street would bet on on Apple's survival against Google and Android.

Any chance you could change your psychotic posting style, Constable Odo? It may work with the denizens of DS9 but here on Earth it comes across as just plain insane…