Apple is playing it by ear

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
meaning they are going to wait and see what happens. if enough of us look upset over the lack of a powermac improvement, then they'll rush a quick fix through. their stock fell today by around 75cents, which should give them a bit of a reality check.....don't mess with your customers, especially your loyal fan base....give them what they want. Apple probably would prefer and wait until the G5 is ready, but i think they'll have a back up plan ready. furthermore, after AOL/Time magazine stabbed them in the back, and ruined their surprise last night....Jobs will have to do something. it's business after all. <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    The stock was down .75¢ because Apple because no towers were released? Don't follow Apple's stock much, eh? This happens after every show for Apple, not to mention every day. The funny thing about stocks, they don't stay at one price for long.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    LOL, that's funny, how Apple expends serious resources to keep everything top secret, and then Jobs goes and does an interview with time and blows the surprise.



    If an employee had done that, Jobs would have fired them. But it's OK for Jobs to do it himself



    Still, none of the rumor sites had this iMac very well. As usual, AI was totally off on their iMac predicitons. I knew AI was full of shiit the second I read it....no new Apple computer is going to use a G3 unless it's a laptop. The G3 is being phased out.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

    <strong>LOL, that's funny, how Apple expends serious resources to keep everything top secret, and then Jobs goes and does an interview with time and blows the surprise.



    If an employee had done that, Jobs would have fired them. But it's OK for Jobs to do it himself

    </strong><hr></blockquote>



    I think the interview with Time was a very good thing. It's frickin free advertising! What is Time's circulation? How many million? Despite the early leak, Apple made out like a bandit with this one.



    I read that the articles weren't supposed to be online until noon eastern, but Time Canada screwed up.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    kidred.....you don't need to follow stocks much to know they go up and down all the time....that's how many a people make and loose money. but i wouldn't be so sure that the .75cent loss wasn't due to the disappointment in MacWorld....i'm sure Apple's analyst's won't be so dismissive.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The markets in general were down about the same percentage as Apple was today. It wasn't down because there was no G5.



    And the only reason Apple didn't release faster PowerMacs today is because they weren't ready. If they had been ready, they would have been released.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    It's amazing to me how people think that something like developing a newer, faster, better computer is so simple and easy that you do it on a moment's notice whenever your customers get disgruntled or your stock price falls.



    I guess Apple has a few hundred thousand G5 Powermacs under tarps in some warehouse somewhere, and they're just waiting to spring them on us until the timing is exactly right with regard to the price arc of AAPL.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    it's amazing to me that people would assume otherwise....if in anything time has proven this true. i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if your skepitical image was completely accurate. i think they, like other corporations like to pace them selves....but they always have backup plans. i'm a little shocked at your naivete. <img src="graemlins/hmmm.gif" border="0" alt="[Hmmm]" />
  • Reply 8 of 12
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

    <strong>The markets in general were down about the same percentage as Apple was today. It wasn't down because there was no G5.



    And the only reason Apple didn't release faster PowerMacs today is because they weren't ready. If they had been ready, they would have been released.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I think its more that, they are either Ready or JUST about ready but The thing is, I think steve WANTED this, he wanted the iMac to be the show, as said in another thread the iMac is steves baby, naturally he gives it all the attention first cause its what will get new users, then the big brother Powermacs get updated a little quieter, so as to give the iMac all the attention that beauty deserves(the more I look at the more I like it)
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]I think the interview with Time was a very good thing. It's frickin free advertising! What is Time's circulation? How many million? Despite the early leak, Apple made out like a bandit with this one.<hr></blockquote>



    The fact that cheap corprate advertising is the cover story, shows how pathetic the media in North America is.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jrcjrc Posts: 804member
    YIKES!? YIKES II !?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jrcjrc Posts: 804member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

    <strong>It's amazing to me how people think that something like developing a newer, faster, better computer is so simple and easy that you do it on a moment's notice whenever your customers get disgruntled or your stock price falls.



    I guess Apple has a few hundred thousand G5 Powermacs under tarps in some warehouse somewhere, and they're just waiting to spring them on us until the timing is exactly right with regard to the price arc of AAPL.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I would agree to a point. Apple without a doubt 'paces' the releases. They have a very methodical pace to their speed upgrades, don't you think? They could have released faster machines at many different points in the past. But they chose NOT TO.



    They like to keep the products and the timing spaced. Except for this brief moment where the PMs are out of phase, I'd say.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I think Steve was playing it by ear, so to speak. I think he really did have 'one more thing' - If he needed to, but the reaction from the floor was good enough with what he had already shown, so I think he probably pulled it to let the iMac grab all the attention for a few weeks.



    Makes sense. Keynote was 1/2hr short
Sign In or Register to comment.