Cost to build new 2002 iMac - parts list...

jrcjrc
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just curious, without including any OVERHEAD costs, such as R&D, payroll, insurance, jets, dented digital cameras, Apple's SS assigned to secrecy and security detail, how much does it cost in parts for the new iMac? I don't have many of the details, but here's the outline of the components and someone else can help me break it out.

Screen module

15" LCD (anyone know [kormac76?] who makes this one?) dealmac <a href="http://dealmac.com/search.html?search=lcd"; target="_blank">http://dealmac.com/search.html?search=lcd</a>; listed one for $280 at one time. Let's assume that Apple can get 25% off a good deal. That puts a 15" at MINIMUM in the $210, maximum $300 let's say.

The plastic case for the LCD should really only be an estimated $20-30?? (I just emailed a friend who owned/worked as a plastic supplier for the likes of Compaq. I'll adjust this as I find out. And NO, it's not KimKapSol, either!)

Airport antenna: Well, these are pretty much just fancy wires. Can't imagine they cost much. Let's say $5-10 for Apple.

Misc hardware/fasteners/glue,etc: $5-10

&lt;b&gt;SCREEN MODULE SUBTOTAL&lt;/b&gt; (SANS OVERHEAD AND LABOR): $250 to $350 (pretty substantial variance)

Connecting Arm: Well again just a guess here. It appears that this is a cast aluminum or other. Can't be too expensive. Let's say the metalwork is $15. I'll add in the wires connecting the two here, as well. And, they are...WIRES. again not a pricey component. I'll say $15.

&lt;b&gt;CONNECTING ARM MODULE SUBTOTAL&lt;/b&gt;:$30-ish

Base module

Plastic/enclosure: $30 - 45

Motherboard (bare): $50 - 100 (includes on-board chips/controllers/power supply)

RAM (128 MB) $15 - 25

Hard Drive: (40 GB) My latest iMac came with a Maxtor. Mysimon.com has one listed for $77. I'll say Apple gets these cheaper. $45 - 55

CD/RW: (24/10/32) I'll estimate $80 - 90

G4 Chip: <a href="http://uk.gsmbox.com/news/mobile_news/all/51871.gsmbox"; target="_blank">http://uk.gsmbox.com/news/mobile_news/all/51871.gsmbox</a>; This might be outdate. I'll assume prices have dropped. $300 - 350.

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX: $30 - 50

Misc: $15 - 25

Keyboard/Mouse: $35 - 60

I don't think the lower model comes with speakers, right?

&lt;b&gt;Base Component subtotal&lt;/b&gt;: $600 - 800 (again, a wide variance in guesses)

TOTAL: $880 - $1180 (no labor/overhead/warranty, etc)

Apple sells them for $1300. By Apple's margins, of around 20-somethings, I'd say the lower end of these component prices are more likely. Once you add in more overhead costs all around, then the margin would slide into that 20s range. That means, $100 - 200 in each unit for that stuff. Heck, I read where UAW-produced cars contain $800 JUST in medical insurance benefits payments.

If anyone would like to offer a way to hone any of these ranges down to better accuracy, I am anxious to see the links/references. Specifically, anyone knowing the suppliers and their published prices for these components would be able to lend more credence and validity to these estimates.

I really have no idea how much the motherboard, with all its components really costs Apple. I mean the PCB itself can't be much. But when you add in port licenses (firewire, which Apple probably HAS to pay back to itself in a roundabout mannner), chips, defect rates and such, and I have to wildly estimate these costs. RAM, HD, Graphics 'cards' (though BUILT-ON), and such are a little easier to estimate with a higher degree of accuracy.

Thanks for your participation before hand. I'm sure someone will point out my mathematical errors (if any) and my estimation errors.

Feel free to add in the OTHER models, too. I know that the superdrive is really plummeting in price right now. But, I don't have time to go through all the configurations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Uhuh. I reckon that Apple's margin on the new iMacs must be razor-thin. I suppose that Apple are taking this step to make sure that people continue to see Apple as an innovative company with appealing products at good price-points.

Steve & co. are presumably counting on the magic of economies of scale to bring the price of LCDs down to restore their normal margins.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by boy_analog:

<strong>Uhuh. I reckon that Apple's margin on the new iMacs must be razor-thin. I suppose that Apple are taking this step to make sure that people continue to see Apple as an innovative company with appealing products at good price-points.

Steve & co. are presumably counting on the magic of economies of scale to bring the price of LCDs down to restore their normal margins.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So, you think my HIGHER end estimates are more in line then?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote] So, you think my HIGHER end estimates are more in line then? <hr></blockquote>

No, my entirely seat-of-the-pants guess is that the lower ends of your estimates are closer to the truth. But the overheads of any organisation like Apple are non-trivial -- salaries, R&D, marketing, etc. chew up beaucoup bucks.

As you seemed to suggest yourself, if you do a similar parts-based analysis of a standard automobile you start thinking that everyone at GM must use Ben Franklins for toilet paper.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by boy_analog:

<strong>

No, my entirely seat-of-the-pants guess is that the lower ends of your estimates are closer to the truth. But the overheads of any organisation like Apple are non-trivial -- salaries, R&D, marketing, etc. chew up beaucoup bucks.

As you seemed to suggest yourself, if you do a similar parts-based analysis of a standard automobile you start thinking that everyone at GM must use Ben Franklins for toilet paper.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL!

That brings up a good point. Are there any parts of Apple's operations that are unionized? I could probably spend some time searching to find out, but thought I'd throw that Q out right away.