Teen interest in 'iWatch' growing as iPhone dominates field, study says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Apple's iPhone continues to lead all competing devices in the important U.S. teen demographic, but the future spenders of America are exhibiting fast-growing interest in new product categories like the iWatch.

Source: PiperJaffray

As part of its Spring 2014 Teen Survey (PDF download), investment bank Piper Jaffray found Apple's iPhone to have built on its position as the smartphone of choice for teens in the U.S., though the bigger takeaway is increased interest in a much rumored smartwatch entry.

Currently, about six percent of the roughly 7,500 teens surveyed own a smartwatch of some ilk, a number slightly higher than expected considering a general lack of choice in the marketplace, said senior research analyst Gene Munster. More importantly, however, are the 17 percent of teens who indicated they would purchase an "iWatch" if Apple were to launch the product at a price point below $350.

Munster points out that an October 2013 survey gauging iWatch interest from the general public showed only 12 percent of U.S. buyers would seriously consider the device. The analyst believes the numbers suggest a nearing potential launch date is fueling interest in the supposed smartwatch. He maintains that Apple will sell some 5-10 million iWatch units in its first full year on the market

Further, the buzz around iWatch indicates teens are looking forward to new product categories from Apple. In February, CEO Tim Cook said the company is working to introduce new devices that any "reasonable" person would consider new categories. It is unclear what Cook was referring to, though industry watchers believe iPhones with larger displays, new laptop offerings and a smartwatch are all on the table.

As for the iPhone, Munster found 61 percent of teens own a version of Apple's handset, up from 55 percent in fall 2013. Looking forward, 67 percent of teens plan to make the iPhone their next smartphone purchase, possibly driven by rumors of a larger screened model that may see release later this year.

Finally, 60 of teens own a tablet device with iPad accounting for 66 percent of the total. Marketshare is down from fall, which saw 68 percent of tablet-owning teens on an iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I thought teen interest in the iPhone is waning and that teens love large screens. Why can't these analysts make up their minds.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    do not buy it, ever kid I talk to and I have lots of chance to do that with teenager in the house, they kind a watch is useless device, they think you are not with it if you wear a watch, it like being your parents and since when does kids do what they parents do. I suspect they set up the question in a way to get a response they were looking for, kind like the republican party did when they thought they won the 2012 elections. they asked the question show they could feel good about thinking of winning.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    That's astonishing. I had a sense that young people preferred the iPhone, but had no idea the percentage ownership would be that high given all the Samsung marketing I see directed toward the younger demographic. Just goes to show, folks can think for themselves.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Speculation about interest of an unreleased product !
    Geez, that's scraping the bottom of the old rumour mongering pot .... :D:D
  • Reply 5 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Double-headslap!
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

do not buy it, ever kid I talk to and I have lots of chance to do that with teenager in the house, they kind a watch is useless device, they think you are not with it if you wear a watch, it like being your parents and since when does kids do what they parents do. I suspect they set up the question in a way to get a response they were looking for, kind like the republican party did when they thought they won the 2012 elections. they asked the question show they could feel good about thinking of winning.

Tp be fair, smart watches didn't exist for their parents generation and therefore i suspect the budding smart watch revolution is one being led by young folks who are much more entrenched in techno-society than their parents.  and that, in itself, could be a motivator for those who wish to break from the conventions of their parents by wearing a computer on their wrist.

• Reply 7 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Tp be fair, smart watches didn't exist for their parents generation and therefore i suspect the budding smart watch revolution is one being led by young folks who are much more entrenched in techno-society than their parents.  and that, in itself, could be a motivator for those who wish to break from the conventions of their parents by wearing a computer on their wrist.

Smart watches still don't exist yet. Most of what they do relies on a more advanced device (phone) to function.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Unless the watch replace the phone in its entirety kids are not going to wear them, it not that a watch is dumb today, kids see no purpose in wearing things on their wrists. Talk to some, they see things on your wrist as being like their parents. I also doubt a watch will replace a phone, people are not going to walk around talking into their watches, not cool even if Dick Tracy had the best phone watch around.

• Reply 9 of 19
    maestro64 wrote: »

Sounds like you've done some sound research.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Smart watches still don't exist yet. Most of what they do relies on a more advanced device (phone) to function.

They may real soon, tho it is coming from Samsung which puts the "smart" part in question.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-galaxy-gear-solo-smartwatch,26494.html
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Apple is going to crush record sales this year. The iWatch if lauched at WWDC14 will flood in over $15 billion in profit this calender year! That's not even counting high iPhone 6 sales and don't get me started on iPad Air with Touch ID maxed out. Fule for the mothership. Apple campus 2 Infinit loop. Look at the big picture. The ecosystem is vibrant, the devices ever more desirable, and the technology chipping away at what it means to be a part of the internet of things.

I think this picture of the iPhone 6 may be the moats accurate. Not50% but 7-10% thiner. Nice mock up tho.
    Will upgrade to iWatch, iPhone 6, iPad Air 4G 128GB white. Own iPhone 5 white, iPad 3rd gen 4G retina 32GB white, iPod shuffle 3rd gen, iPod 2nd gen x 3rd gen, iPod touch 2nd gen, cases, cables, and docks.

The devises will become ever more popular amongst broader groups of people. Teens, elders, smart or bold. The people who depend on a reliant and artistic ecosystem know why they choose Apple. [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/41476/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 12 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by iRobo Dojo View Post

The iWatch if lauched at WWDC14 will flood in over $15 billion in profit this calender year!

And there’s my laugh for today. I’m down to one; gonna kick that habit soon!

Mmm… I like this. Sort of think they might do something more radical, but I love keeping flat sides around.

• Reply 13 of 19
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member
    Teens usually not allowed to have their iPhone out during class. As the Church Lady would say, "how conveeeeeenient," to have a digital device on your wrist while taking a test. Maybe, you can also bump watches to exchange contact info, fun stuff!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Iwatch. Schmiwatch.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

"Currently, about six percent of the roughly 7,500 teens surveyed own a smartwatch of some ilk"

According to the 2010 U.S. Census, there were 40,717,537 youth age 10-19 in the United States.

Okay, so if the survey is indicative of the broader population, we should be able to multiply 40 plus Million by .06 and find out how many teens own smart watches in the US.

(Pulls up calculator app...)

2,443,000 plus teens in the US own smart watches!? Waaaa?

Is that possible?

Or did they just like interview teens at Palo Alto, CA private schools?

• Reply 16 of 19
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Unless the watch replace the phone in its entirety kids are not going to wear them, it not that a watch is dumb today, kids see no purpose in wearing things on their wrists. 

Really?  My teenage daughter and a lot of her friends, some of whom are guys, wear bracelets on their wrists.  We don't know what the iWatch is like if such exists in the first place so it's too early to make predictions based on blanket statements that were made in reference to existing products. There are so many things that expert marketers thought were going to be lame and ended up big hits.  And vice versa.

• Reply 17 of 19
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    maestro64 wrote: »

Unless the watch replace the phone in its entirety kids are not going to wear them, it not that a watch is dumb today, kids see no purpose in wearing things on their wrists. Talk to some, they see things on your wrist as being like their parents. I also doubt a watch will replace a phone, people are not going to walk around talking into their watches, not cool even if Dick Tracy had the best phone watch around.

Not sure that is even accurate. Everything from friendship bracelets, awareness for a cause type bracelets, etc are worn by kids and we would never of worn that crap when I was young. Even back then it would have been a swatch and that was not for that many years. They key thing about swatch was a fashion statement. Kids didn't all of a sudden need to know what time it was. An iWatch would be fashion and tech geek chic and that plus a killer app and Apple will be getting on enough wrists to matter. In 2006 not manny people needed a smartphone.they were not that smart and it was pretty damn expensive for what amounted to WAP internet. I don't need the fashion, or the geek chic, but I could be on board for a killer app.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Jobs doesn't do survey…this idiot doesn't even have a spec and could come out with results...so amazing...Apple might not even introduce an iWatch...analysts are not marketing people...so his survey were unprofessional
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nit may now be considered picked.