The story from MWSF: A 3X2 matrix

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just thinking about the general direction Apple is headed after MWSF, and it struck me that the big news that no one is talking about is how they've really changed their product matrix back to a Cube-type strategy.

The new iMac, starting at $1299, is really a mid-range computer now. It's what the Cube should have been. The low-end is the traditional CRT iMac at $799 and $999.

In the portable line, the 14" screen on the new iBook clearly differentiates it from the other iBooks. The 14" iBook is now the mid-range, with the 12" iBook at the low-end and the PowerBook on the high-end.

Is this a permanent change, or just a transition which will eventually get then back to the 2X2?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Actually, I still consider it a 4x4 product grid, because, fact is, the underlying approach/vision hasn't changed: still pro laptop, pro desktop, consumer laptop, consumer desktop.

It just so happens now that within the consumer "iStuff", there are two distinct models within each category: a CRT iMac and a new LCD iMac. But they're still iMacs.

Both iBooks still have the specs and features that make them iBooks and not PowerBooks.

I don't consider that this new iMac or 14" iBook is "breaking the 4x4 grid". It's merely giving a couple of products a variety.

Besides, I'm sure by years' end, the CRT iMacs will probably be phased out. And I've stated in another thread that I truly believe this 14" iBook is going to be a flop and will simply not be around come MWNY. It goes against everything that makes the iBook cool and popular, AND the fact that resolution wasn't bumped up pretty much makes this a product for those with bad eyesight. IF, along with the 14" screen, Apple had bumped up the resolution a couple of notches, THEN I could understand its reason to exist.

Only if they had named this new LCD iMac something OTHER than "iMac", then I would consider the grid being broken.

But I go by the names, not the variations within each category. An iMac, CRT or LCD, is still Apple's consumer desktop, and occupies 1/4 of the product grid.

In my opinion, anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    the iMac CRT is only there due to excessive stock. it'll be gone as soon as they get rid of all the materials affiliated with them.

I know this as a fact.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Applenut,

So the fact that Phil Schiller said the CRT iMac would be around for quite a while is not true? Also the fact that Apple ordered production of up to a million CRT iMacs for the next year is not true? These facts were reported this week at MacWorld and the previous week on a news item from Taiwan. Apple does not stock any parts for the iMacs. They are ordered as needed and produced for Apple by outside companies. What you know is not so. Sorry.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Applenut,

So the fact that Phil Schiller said the CRT iMac would be around for quite a while is not true? Also the fact that Apple ordered production of up to a million CRT iMacs for the next year is not true? These facts were reported this week at MacWorld and the previous week on a news item from Taiwan. Apple does not stock any parts for the iMacs. They are ordered as needed and produced for Apple by outside companies. What you know is not so. Sorry.</strong><hr></blockquote>

care to show me where they ordered 1,000,000 CRTs because that is wrong. the order was for 1,000,000 LCDs.

did you really think Apple was going to sell 1,000,000 CRT imacs this year?

I don't come out all the time and say I have inside info. the times I have I have been correct. at least give me the benefit of the doubt here instead of spewing off on baseless information.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Here's the article where Phil Schiller mentions the CRT iMac as being still available (as it is also listed on the Apple site):

<a href="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/mc/20020108/tc/phil_schiller_imac_a_breakthrough_product_1.htmlv"; target="_blank">http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/mc/20020108/tc/phil_schiller_imac_a_breakthrough_product_1.htmlv</a>;
  • Reply 6 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Here's the article where Phil Schiller mentions the CRT iMac as being still available (as it is also listed on the Apple site):

<a href="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/mc/20020108/tc/phil_schiller_imac_a_breakthrough_product_1.htmlv"; target="_blank">http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/mc/20020108/ tc/phil_schiller_imac_a_breakthrough_product_1.html</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

and? I never said it wasn't still available. I said the reason its still available is because they have excessive stock and parts and that it will not last.

interesting how you didn't bring up that 1,000,000 order for "CRTs" again
  • Reply 7 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>I don't come out all the time and say I have inside info. the times I have I have been correct.</strong><hr></blockquote>Is this the source that had that inside info about the G5 coming out at MWSF?

Anyway, I hope that they do keep the CRT iMac around for a while for cheaper iMacs. I think the new iMac is a good value, but having no desktop Macs with a starting price lower than $1299 seems like a bad idea.

BTW, does anyone else wonder what kind of margins they've been making on those PowerMacs when they can make these new iMacs so much cheaper?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    [quote]Is this the source that had that inside info about the G5 coming out at MWSF?

<hr></blockquote>

the same source that said a G4 LCD iMac was coming out and later told me would have a superdrive. yes it is.

also, there was no powermac update and the keynote was shorted a half hour leading one to believe that the powermac was originally suppose to be updated there. until the next powermac update you can't say he was wrong.

[quote]

Anyway, I hope that they do keep the CRT iMac around for a while for cheaper iMacs. I think the new iMac is a good value, but having no desktop Macs with a starting price lower than $1299 seems like a bad idea.<hr></blockquote>

iMac will see price cuts just like the iBook has.

[quote]

BTW, does anyone else wonder what kind of margins they've been making on those PowerMacs when they can make these new iMacs so much cheaper? <hr></blockquote>

HUGE :eek:
  • Reply 9 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>Is this the source that had that inside info about the G5 coming out at MWSF?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

hey, guess what. he was right again. no more iMac.

although we have an eMac now.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think the eMac will replace the iMacG3 by the end of the year to give apple a 999 model with a G4.

G3 will finally die unless Apple decides to turn the iMac into some sort of digital appliance.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>I think the eMac will replace the iMacG3 by the end of the year to give apple a 999 model with a G4.

G3 will finally die unless Apple decides to turn the iMac into some sort of digital appliance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The iBook might stick with the G3 for a while.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Applenut, "excessive stock??" That just isn't true at all. If that were the case, it would be cheaper for Apple to just destroy some of the parts they do have instead of just trickling out old iMacs and setting aside assembly lines for the thing. They also need to keep parts for warrant repair/replacement.

The truth is Apple is still ordering components to build iMacs.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member

<strong>the iMac CRT is only there due to excessive stock. it'll be gone as soon as they get rid of all the materials affiliated with them.

I know this as a fact.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I sure hope you're dumber than you make yourself out to be!

That iMac Classic could sell for years and years and years with proper pricing and features.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>

That iMac Classic could sell for years and years and years with proper pricing and features.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yea, because everyone in the 21st century wants a 15 inch CRT (13.8 inch viewable) that produces a fishbowl like image
  • Reply 15 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>

That iMac Classic could sell for years and years and years with proper pricing and features.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's never gunna sell well with that 15" CRT.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member

<strong>hey, guess what. he was right again. no more iMac.

although we have an eMac now. </strong><hr></blockquote>I think the eMac is intended to substitute for the flat panel iMac, not the G3 iMac. The G3 iMac wasn't discontinued, was it?