What was that keynote song?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The one at the end when the new iMac is revolving on the stage. I know the hook is "take my heart away". Anybody know who that is and what the song is called?

Nevermind, I did my own digging. The guy's name singing it is Johnny Clegg, the song is on his album Shadow Man and SHERLOCK and some shrewd keyword selections is pretty darned AWESOME for digging up information like that. The guy has his own dot-com (johnnyclegg.com).

Sorry for the bother...here are the lyrics in case you decide to sing along at the end of the streaming playback of the MWSF2002 keynote.

Take My Heart Away

Chorus

Take my heart away (repeat)

To be the sound of wild geese calling

To be ten seasons in a night

To dance the sun beyond the tides of war and peace

To put silence stained by crimes to flight

I need to heart-break-loose-the wind

Dedela umoya, wami baba

(Set my spirit free, father)

Chorus

To see your eyes shine like two desert stars

To see life burning with a mission

To break the empty circle of living and dying

To leave a child with a vision

I need to heart-break-loose-the wind

Dedela umoya, wami baba

(Set my spirit free, father)

Chorus

Sing me the songs that won the battle

Sing me the first and the last man's glory

Sing me the songs that taste of freedom

Thread me through with your sacred needle

Liyeza, liyeza, liyeza ilanga lami seliyeza

(It's coming, it's coming, my day is coming)

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: drewprops ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Yeah could someone please tell us what that catchy song is?

Also, is the keynote available for download now?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Part of me is thinking it might actually be Seal. I'm not sure thought.

More than THAT song, however, is the one that kicks off the video: "people say we've been gettin' too loud with our message..." or whatever. The one where the iMac is "dancing".

Who is that?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    <a href="http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/kirkfranklin/stomp.html"; target="_blank">Stomp!</a> by Kirk Franklin and God's Property
  • Reply 4 of 8
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by CaseCom:

<strong><a href="http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/kirkfranklin/stomp.html"; target="_blank">Stomp!</a> by Kirk Franklin and God's Property</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well the version in the video is slightly different. I guess either they have a version that doesn't mention Christ or they did it especially for Apple.

That reminds me of the video for the old iMacs with iTunes and the CDRW. One of them featured a song called "The Radio Still Sucks" by The Ataris.

The commercial song's lyrics went:

"I'm really sick, of new metal and boy bands...."

or something like that, but the REAL song says

"I'm really F'ing sick of something and marilyn manson, I wish someone would break is F'ing neck"

sorry the lyrics aren't perfect

I guess Apple couldn't use that version
  • Reply 5 of 8
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by drewprops:

<strong>I know the hook is "take my heart away".

The guy's name singing it is Johnny Clegg, the song is on his album Shadow Man...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I received Shadow Man as a Christmas gift in the last 80's. It was one of my favorite albums for quite a while. I hadn't listened to Johnny Clegg & Savuka (he plays with a group) in ages.

The song in the keynote video is a different recording from the one on the album, though. The keynote version was a bit faster.

I really enjoyed Moby and Seal's testimonials in the iMac G4 video, as well as in the iPod video. That photographer, on the other hand, was a bit less than eloquent.

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>That photographer, on the other hand, was a bit less than eloquent.</strong><hr></blockquote>

"That photographer" may not be eloquent, but Annie Leibovitz is one of our greatest photographers and a great choice for Apple, in my opinion.
  • Reply 7 of 8

<strong>

Annie Leibovitz is one of our greatest photographers and a great choice for Apple, in my opinion.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for pointing that out, CaseCom. I hadn't heard of Annie Leibovitz before, but I'm certainly not a good reference when it comes to (professional/artistic) photography. It also looked to me like they took less time to shoot with her than with Moby and Seal. And those two guys presumably have had plenty of TV practice working in the music industry.

Escher
  • Reply 8 of 8

<strong>

Annie Leibovitz is one of our greatest photographers and a great choice for Apple, in my opinion.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just to follow up once more (after putting my foot in my mouth), I thought I'd point anyone with any doubt about Annie Leibovitz' status to an intro/bio for her recent <a href="http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/exhibitions/leibovitz/"; target="_blank">exhibition at the Seattle Art Museum</a>.

Escher