Ive on design.

sebseb
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here is a really good interview with Jonathan Ive on the design of the new iMac, and industrial design in general.

<a href="http://news.independent.co.uk/digital/features/story.jsp?story=114276"; target="_blank">http://news.independent.co.uk/digital/features/story.jsp?story=114276</a>;

What a cool guy.

God forbid, if something disastrous were to ever happen to Jobs (bad, bad thought), I'd seriously hope this guy would be a contender for the captain's chair. He "gets" Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by seb:

<strong>What a cool guy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I couldn't agree more. I'm also glad to see that Ive continues to work well with Jobs. Even though Jobs is the visionary that drives Apple, I think Apple would survive his departure. On the other hand, if, heaven forbid, Apple were to loose Ive, I think it would have a very hard time continuing to innovate.

Jobs and Ive are a great example of perfect symbiosis.

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I love this man's designs as well, but the more articles I read it seems to me that Jobs deserves a bunch of credit on the iMac. His whole 'sunflower' idea is the reason the iMac looks like it does today. Don't get me wrong, Im sure Ive had a huge role in the look and feel of the iMac, but I see Jobs as the real teacher in this instance.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    [quote]Originally posted by strazi:

<strong>I love this man's designs as well, but the more articles I read it seems to me that Jobs deserves a bunch of credit on the iMac. His whole 'sunflower' idea is the reason the iMac looks like it does today. Don't get me wrong, Im sure Ive had a huge role in the look and feel of the iMac, but I see Jobs as the real teacher in this instance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd have to agree with that. Good point.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by strazi:

<strong>I love this man's designs as well, but the more articles I read it seems to me that Jobs deserves a bunch of credit on the iMac. His whole 'sunflower' idea is the reason the iMac looks like it does today. Don't get me wrong, Im sure Ive had a huge role in the look and feel of the iMac, but I see Jobs as the real teacher in this instance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yea. I think it's a pretty powerful combo (Jobs and Ive). I mean they really haven't come out with a design that hasn't been very cool (not counting patterns on imacs because the iMac design is cool).

I think one of the reasons for success is like what the Time article said, Jobs will often tell Ives and the rest of the design team just to start completely over again until they get every little detail right.

the amount of detail in their designs truly is amazing.

that's why I hope they start expanding into areas such as digital cameras and peripherals. Maybe work with epson or hp to design a special edition printer, etc.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes, those two guys...what an amazing combination, going on four years now! Which of their designs HASN'T rocked and influenced other computer makers, and, in the case of the iMac, other areas OUTSIDE computers/technology?

I mean, you coudn't swing a dead cat in 1999/2000 and not hit something curvy, colorful and see-though!

I posted this before and no one responded, but I would LOVE to see photos of the original flat panel iMac's design.

Hell, ALL of the "Jobs is back" era stuff, for that matter: TiBook, iBooks, AirPort base station.

If someone could actually work with cooperation from Apple, Jobs and Ive and put out a cool, kick-ass "iEra" design coffee table book, I have a feeling that just about every Mac user out there would buy it.

I'd LOVE for Ive to post some pages from his sketchbook! I LOVE stuff like that: early ideas, roughs, thumbnails, etc.

The same way that I love looking at Ralph McQuarrie paintings from the Star Wars trilogy: pre-production "sketches" or scene-setters. The costumes, weapons, vehicles are always a bit different that what actually made it to film, but it's totally fascinating to see early drafts/sketches of Darth Vader, Boba Fett, various spaceships and droids, etc.

Same with Apple's stuff! I'd give anything to see the first sketch Ive did for the new iMac. Probably looked a lot like many posted here, including mine, with all the guts "glommed" on to the back of the LCD.

Yeah, Jobs apparently played a pivotal role and I'm glad he shot down the prototype Ive brought to him and they ended up taking that walk in the garden.

Stuff like that is so cool to hear or read about! And they're right: now, after the fact, it all seems so obvious and simple! In all my mockups and thoughts and dreams about the new LCD iMac, not ONCE did I consider the concept of a separate horizontal base, joined by a cool, articulated arm, to the LCD.

It's SO obvious that it's brilliant!

It's like "well...of COURSE! Let the drives lie flat and let the monitor be flat!"

Damn, I love this new iMac. Everything about it (well, not nuts about that whole RAM situation...but that's a minor point and is easily outweighed by all the other coolness).