Apple blocks rival streaming services from iAd, expands its own digital ad team

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Apple has reportedly banned British iTunes Radio competitor Bloom.fm from advertising on iAd, even as Apple looks set to expand its own digital reach by adding four new creative agencies to its outside advertising team.

London-based Bloom had been placing ?2,000 worth of iAds per month since its launch last January, the company said, but the placements were banned earlier this week due to what Apple is said to have called a violation of internal company policy. News of Apple's action was first reported by The Guardian.

"They stopped us advertising a few weeks ago and we were unclear why. Then we received an email from our marketing agency saying that it was against their policy to advertise competing services," Bloom.fm marketing director Jon Clark told the publication.

"We're amused by this rather than frustrated. It's just pretty funny really. We're a tiny app, so we're surprised they even noticed what we were doing," he added.

The move has fueled speculation that Apple is preparing to roll iTunes Radio out to users in the U.K. The service is slowly spreading around the world, having launched in Australia in February.

Apple, meanwhile, is believed to have reached representation agreements with digital advertising agencies AKQA, Huge, Area 17, and Kettle. Those agencies would supplement the work of Apple's primary media partner, TBWA\Media Arts Lab, according to Advertising Age.

It would be Apple's second digital realignment in as many months after the company gained a dedicated studio brand from longtime partner Rosetta in February.

The new agencies' brief is expected to be "broad" and include user experience and digital strategy. Apple has been rapidly expanding its digital presence, running a well-received animated campaign for the iPhone 5c on popular web properties like Yahoo and Tumblr.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Smart move by Apple. Tough luck for the ones on the receiving end. :)

iPhone 6 anyone?

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/41669/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 2 of 13

It sounds very anti-competitive and Anti-American. 

• Reply 3 of 13
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    It sounds very anti-competitive and Anti-American. 
    Really?! When was the last time you saw an ad for CBS on NBC.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    To be honest, I find myself extremely sceptical of this claim. Namely, we only have the report of Bloom, and, I believe without exception, every time there has been a case of "Apple cut us off from their platform because they don't want us to compete" has turned out to have a much more reasonable explanation; usually that the "victimized" were up to no good and are trying to turn attention away from their misdeeds by blaming Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member

Seems perfectly sensible to me.

Apple won't let you sell an app in the app-store that duplicates existing iPhone functionality so why would they allow people to use their platform to advertise a competing service that duplicates existing eco-system functionality. I don't expect Apple to allow Amazon to advertise their MP3 store via iAds either. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Apple should also ban all ad networks on iOS other than iAds.

• Reply 6 of 13
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

Seems perfectly sensible to me.

Apple won't let you sell an app in the app-store that duplicates existing iPhone functionality so why would they allow people to use their platform to advertise a competing service that duplicates existing eco-system functionality. I don't expect Apple to allow Amazon to advertise their MP3 store via iAds either. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Apple should also ban all ad networks on iOS other than iAds.

They should just be done with it and ban any music services other than iTunes and any maps other than Apple maps.

• Reply 7 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    To paraphrase Patrick Swayze, "nobody puts Apple in a corner."
  • Reply 8 of 13
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    An iAd (complete with the little Apple iAd) for a streaming radio service that is NOT Apple's would be confusing to users, among other things. They'd think they had found Apple's own new streaming service.

Kudos to mike above for early skepticism! This does smell like a story that might turn out to be just what it seems... or might not.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

and they wonder why no one cares about iAd :rolleyes:

• Reply 10 of 13
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    genovelle wrote: »

When actors from competing networks go on late night talk shows :smokey:

i.e. Jim Parsons (Sheldon Cooper) showing up on Leno, and then Leno plugging at the end of the segment that Jim can be seen at 8pm Thursday nights on CBS.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    A quick plug at midnight is Not the same as selling ads to your competitor on your network during your shows to change the channel. Walmart sells space throughout their stores. Do you really think they would allow Target to advertise in their store?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

All the time.  I guess you don't watch TV?

• Reply 13 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

All the time.  I guess you don't watch TV?

I suppose I don't watch a lot of TV as I didn't realize it either. Thanks to those who pointed it out.