Hmm... that wacky IBM....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, so I'm chillin on ars-technica. And I see this post about a new style of embedded DRAM from IBM <a href="http://www.eet.com/semi/news/OEG20020610S0047"; target="_blank"> EE Times article</a>

Now.. this comment from ars-technica caught my eye.

[quote]It's a clever trick, and it could allow MPU designers who opt to use this instead of SRAM to pack significantly more cache onto the die.<hr></blockquote>

They go on to point out that DRAM requires only 1 transistor per cell, while SRAM requires 4 to 6. Combine this with a .13 micron process... yes, I'm rambling at this point.

Basically I took that, and matched it up with one of the threads in here where JD and Moki were sparring back and forth, with the possible insinuation being thrown out there that IBM may be back in the game. I mean... the big thing goin in computer design right now is bandwidth, right? What's faster than on-die cache?

So here it is, my "out-there" MWNY prediction. A PowerPC chip, supplied by IBM, taking pointers from the POWER4, and leveraging this new tech to offer a big 'ol cache, which is far more feasible if the transistor count required by the cache is reduced by a factor of 4-6. Sounds like something that could feed Altivec nicely.

[ 06-11-2002: Message edited by: ThatGuy ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Well, it does sound nice and feasible, especially seeing how Apple is clearing all products other then the towers for MWNY. What else will there be? X demo, iApps, not much to compete with the towers.

So we either get some juicy G4 with the above or similar clocking at 1.4+

Or Apple is Apple and will release Xserve towers at 1.13ghz and wait until MWSF for the juice.

A month left right?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    There's no way either an IBM G5 or this tech will make it into a Powermac this july. Maybe next july.

• Reply 3 of 5
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I thought transistors were used in logic.

Why are they needed in memory?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]

I thought transistors were used in logic.

Why are they needed in memory?

<hr></blockquote>

Transistors are used in digital logic, but digital logic is not the only thing that uses transistors. OP-AMPs, motor controllers, etc all use transistors.

A bit of SRAM can be looked at as some gates in a positive feedback loop. DRAM uses capacitors to store the value of a given bit, but transistors are used to mediate access to a given piece of memory.

A search on Google revealed <a href="http://graphics.stanford.edu/courses/cs448a-01-fall/lectures/dram/."; target="_blank">http://graphics.stanford.edu/courses/cs448a-01-fall/lectures/dram/.</a>; Have a look at slide 19. The left schematic (SRAM) looks like the usual two inverters in a loop with transistors for accessing the value (6 transistors). The right schematic (DRAM) has a capacitor for storing the bit, a transistor for accessing the value (1 transistor).

Edited: It was slide 19, not slide 26. I can't read.

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: PipelineStall ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Cool.