Just got my iPhoto book in the mail...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...and it is very impressive.

A few comments:

If you are expecting a book of photo-quality prints, you will be dissapointed. This is a printed book--as in half-tones and dithering, not photographic paper that has been bound together. Resolution is just OK... enough for detail, but not enough to stand up to careful scrutiny. The paper is semi-gloss and is about 20-30 lb, I reckon. I would not use this as a way of making a portfolio, but I do feel that it will make a nice gift--the reason I did it in the first place. the basic feel is that of a relatively cheap coffee-table book.

Contrast is very good--a good match to what my CRT showed. Color is neutral... not oversaturated, but not too muted either. I have read some complaints that the prints are too dark; I did not have this problem. I suppose either those people did not calibrate their monitors properly or I just got lucky!

The linen cover is very attractive... smooth and tightly bound. The threads are not quite square with the boards, but that is a minor nitpick. The print on the front cover doesn't look bad, but not particularly classy either. It looks like it was just cut out and pasted on the front (which, of course, it was! ) The end pages and the paper glued to the inside of the cover are attractive; the back cover paper has a white Apple logo and "Created on a Macintosh" printed on it. It is quite tasteful.

The packaging is very nice... the book itself is protected by a resealable (post-it-like adhesive, not ziplock) plastic bag, and then a plain white box with a little velcro flap to keep it closed. The only thing on the front of the box is a small black Apple logo on the flap and "Created on a Macintosh" in small type at the bottom.

Overall, I am impressed. I do hope that the quality of the printing improves as the process matures, but it is an excellent first effort.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    How many pages was your book?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I read this somewhere:

?Use the following general guidelines when sizing images to aspect ratios:

? For a 4 x 6" print, the image resolution should be 640 x 480 pixels minimum

? For a 5 x 7" print, the image resolution should be 1024 x 768 pixels minimum

? For an 8 x 10" print, the image resolution should be 1536 x 1024 pixels minimum

? For a 16 x 20" print, the image resolution should be 1600 x 1200 pixels minimum

? For a 20 x 30" print, the image resolution should be 1600 x 1200 pixels minimum?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I want a digital camera so i can use iPhoto. I want to have memories to remember so I can need a camera so I can use iPhoto. Arg...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    geekgeek Posts: 14member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>How many pages was your book?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It is 20 pages. I'll let you do the math and figure out the exorbitant fee I paid for this thing... but I was so excited to try it, I just had to do it!

Worth it? I think $29.99 for the first 10 pages is quite reasonable, but the $3/page after that adds up way too fast! I simply don't believe that the number of pages matters that much to the cost of the book to Apple. Oh well... I don't regret it one bit!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I think my wife would have more fun and get better results doing it on her own.