Carplay, software, hardware or both?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2014

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum section… since it's not out yet I wasn't sure wether I should put it under Mac Software or Hardware :) (I also posted this in another section, but I think that was definitely the wrong one)

The thing is, I'm looking for an after-market double din radio, and was leaning towards a Parrot Asteroid Smart. I'd primarily use it for AD2P (and USB) bluetooth audio streaming, calling and Waze.

But ever since Carplay has been announced, and Alpine mentioned it's going to make an after market solution that will fit ány car (with a double din slot anyway), I've been wondering… what isCarplay anyway? Alpine announced that it's going to release an "after market solution" before the end of the year for example, but do I see Carplay as a double din radio, a "module" of some sort to be implemented behind the existing radio, or just software?

Because I currently have a single din radio in my car with a very strong desire to get rid of this 14 year old radio to replace it with a nice double din one (I like gadgets, what can I say), I'm really hoping that Apple will basically make a "Parrot Asteroid Smart" type double din with their own software.

Also, if you don't bring your own iOS device, how will Carplay function? It's also something I haven't found anything about yet. Can we only speculate on the details so far, or did I completely miss the memo on the details? :)

Thanks! 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6

Search "carplay" on Apple's site.

Then you'll have as much information as anybody else.

Anything else is baseless speculation ... Apple just doesn't tell much until they're (almost) ready to deliver.

• Reply 2 of 6
    flabberflabber Posts: 100member

I had a feeling I would get a response like that, but thanks anyway :)

I was hoping I missed a site that might have some inside information, but alas!

• Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    flabber wrote: »
    I had a feeling I would get a response like that, but thanks anyway :)

I was hoping I missed a site that might have some inside information, but alas!
    :rolleyes:

So you honestly believe that an Apple employee is willing to sacrifice his/her job just to give you a scoop on an upcoming product?
  • Reply 4 of 6

There's no need for a snappy comment like that. There are plenty of times where details of something new has been leaked in one way or the other, ahead of any kind of schedule. There's always a chance I might have missed some leak/news item.

• Reply 5 of 6
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    flabber wrote: »
    There's no need for a snappy comment like that. There are plenty of times where details of something new has been leaked in one way or the other, ahead of any kind of schedule. There's always a chance I might have missed some leak/news item.

Yes there is, and not even "leaks". IMO better not to reply at all if the only reason is to be snippy to you.
    Here's one hands-on video from yesterday:
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/17/5622144/apple-carplay-hands-on
  • Reply 6 of 6

Oh, thanks for the link Gatorguy! That's one I indeed missed! :)