Should macbook pro retina 2014 include MAXWELL gpus?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2014
Having the last year panel high resolution with just a 750m seems pretty odd should they move to the next step with 860m or higher?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

They’ll only have whatever chip has the same TDP as the one that’s in there now.

• Reply 2 of 6
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    MBP SHOULD have faster GPUs every year, that is the ideal situation. However as has already been pointed out, the new MBPs will only get such hardware if the power levels are suitable for a laptop. There is a reasonable possibility that the MBP's may get Maxwell derived hardware this year.
    fanofapple wrote: »
    Having the last year panel high resolution with just a 750m seems pretty odd should they move to the next step with 860m or higher?

Contrary to common opinion Apple can only ship what they are free to buy. I don't see an end to the need for faster GPUs, as such the performance will come when the technology permits.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Yes without question. The 850M seems to be a decent step up from the 750M supposedly.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

You missed a couple things with the 860m comment. The first is that these chips are being made with both Kepler and Maxwell parts. The second is that Apple has been moving increasingly toward integrated graphics. I think it'll be another case of the base model running on integrated only, and unless you have a resulting bottleneck at the gpu level, it isn't a big deal. They cost a lot considering the use of integrated graphics and modest internal storage. In a notebook we're still at a point where the biggest gains from gpus are gaming. If you move into the really heavy tasks that make use of the gpu for extended periods of time, you quickly hit a point where you're better off with a stationary machine for now.

• Reply 5 of 6
    hmm wrote: »
    <p>You missed a couple things with the 860m comment. The first is that these chips are being made with both Kepler and Maxwell parts. The second is that Apple has been moving increasingly toward integrated graphics. I think it'll be another case of the base model running on integrated only, and unless you have a resulting bottleneck at the gpu level, it isn't a big deal. They cost a lot considering the use of integrated graphics and modest internal storage. In a notebook we're still at a point where the biggest gains from gpus are gaming. If you move into the really heavy tasks that make use of the gpu for extended periods of time, you quickly hit a point where you're better off with a stationary machine for now.</p>

Tell website reviews not to say that 860m is Maxwell not me.

they won't just have integrated graphics cuz they need independent gpu yes or yes u.u.

At least it will be a 850m but having a 860m on it will be a revolution for a mac. Cuz they don't have many new changes for early 2014 model. At least not till now they will have new things for later 2014 but not now...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FanOfApple View Post

Tell website reviews not to say that 860m is Maxwell not me.

they won't just have integrated graphics cuz they need independent gpu yes or yes u.u.

At least it will be a 850m but having a 860m on it will be a revolution for a mac. Cuz they don't have many new changes for early 2014 model. At least not till now they will have new things for later 2014 but not now...

Well some websites mention that they intend to use both architectures. People have wished for years that Apple would step up their gpu game. Mostly they have just increased pressure for better integrated graphics. That isn't an entirely bad thing for the macbook pros. Discrete graphics problems are a frequent cause of dead machines, and the chargers aren't powerful enough to maintain the battery when both cpu and gpu are near full load. Given that I think the implementations are terrible, I don't think better integrated graphics rather than a step up in discrete graphics would be a bad thing. They really should get the price on the 15" back to 1800. 15" is an extremely popular size. It should be even more for Apple with how light and compact they design things. Its price limits its volume.