Fiber To The Home

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    I agree with the column. There are no services online to warrant the bandwidth.

'Near Broadcast quality' video will be achieved with MPEG4. There is no need to increase the bandwidth (for the foreseable future, that is).

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: NeoMac ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    Fact is the telecommunications market is working on moving to a 100% digital network, however, it is estimated to be in place over the next ten to fifteen years.

Fiber to the home has been experimented over the past ten years in several major and minor markets. But to date it is still not been made cost effective.

The likely hood that we will see wireless coverage in major markets in the form of digital cellular technology for use by phone companies working as ISPs before you see direct fiber to the home.

As of this past year there was not a case of fiber to the home that I know of, although there have been a lot of cases where the local Central Office has direct fiber connections between itself and the outlying huts.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I just want DSL!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    on Sunday January 27, 2002, it will be my 4 year aniversery of having ADSL to my place.

That is a 4mbit down/640kit up.Actual clocked speed:

400KBytes down

80KBytes up (spikes of 100KBytes/sec)

Oh and it is unmetered, and has been rock solid since October 99. (from August to October it was a bit wacky for about 15 days).