The death of iTools, then what?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Purely hypothetical... I'm no insider, I'm not implying its gonna happen...

But what will happen when/if Apple can no longer afford to dish out 20 mb per idisks, pop3 addresses galore, or to make those new iPhoto books...

Alot of these things are embedded into the OS and the iApp software. And who knows, there has been a significant decline in free internet services in the last year and a half, iDisk is one of the few and the best free webspace you can get today.

What might set apple apart is that 5% marketshare, they wont have to suffer the widespread overuse of their services.

We already saw iReview die, what could be next on the chopping block? or will everything hopefully stay the same? How will the digital hub strategy suffer? Or will we be beyond the digital hub when that happens?

flim at 11!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    iCards will die next, if anything.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    iReview and iKids were killed because of low usage by users.

iReview died because it wasn't particularly useful.

iKids died because it was too combersome, it wasn't marketed at all, and (good) parents just prefer to monitor kids in person - bad parents just don't care enough to go through the trouble of using it.

iCards, I find useful. I use it only a few times a year. I don't think it will get killed. They need to improve the message field, though. It's too tiny and simple.

iDisk is great, 'nuf said. HomePage is great, but could use more sophisticated layouts. Mac.com email is just awesome. I never, ever get junk mail at my address. As long as they have Mac.com I'll never get rid of it.

iTools need more publicity. I doubt many even know about it or understand what it is about.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    While I think iCards holds too important a place on Apple's web page (an entire tab), it is a nice little perk. My college website has little cards in some corner of it. Apple could demote it, even pull back on some of the offerings, but having at least Apple products highlighted like this is still viable.

For the rest of the services, iTools is at its most useful and streamlined. Now that iReview and Kidsafe are gone, it's nice and neat and sleak. Since iDisk is stuck in the OS X Finder, HomePage is in iPhoto and the browsers and the Mac.com e-mail service is attached to Mail, perhaps the iTools grouping will be put to rest and considered part of the "system" so to speak.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Of course iReview died. Did anyone actually use it? Do many people use iCards?

iTools people use. As long as a lot of people continue to use it Apple will find a way to keep it alive.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Of course iReview died. Did anyone actually use it? Do many people use iCards?

iTools people use. As long as a lot of people continue to use it Apple will find a way to keep it alive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I used iReview to find AtAT.... pity they took it down. I kinda liked it...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>

I used iReview to find AtAT.... pity they took it down. I kinda liked it...</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're seriously the first person I've ever heard of that used it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by vvedge:

<strong>Purely hypothetical... I'm no insider, I'm not implying its gonna happen...

But what will happen when/if Apple can no longer afford to dish out 20 mb per idisks, pop3 addresses galore, or to make those new iPhoto books... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Have you ever tried to use iDisk and iPhoto to publish a photo album? Those 20 MB don't last for very long and thing is, Apple probably expects us to pay for a larger iDisk in order to be able to use the iApps properly. Sure, why not?

It's not such a huge cost for Apple anyway. Disk is cheap.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    Ya, it's only expensive if you're actually stupid enough to rent from them. On the topic of the 20 mg thing, mine is full. But not to worry, log on under a different name and start another one.