Cox closing ports

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It would seem that the folks at Cox@Home now have port 25 closed as well as port 80. What is wrong with them!?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I have Comcast HSI (formerly Comcast@Home), and I noticed about a week before they transitioned me from @Home, that port 80 was blocked. So, my web site was down for about a week. After the transition it was back. I think @Home has just closed it, possibly in an effort to cut out as much as they can before crashing straight into the sun.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I guess I'm lucky. @Home blocked port 80 after Code Red hit. Ever since ATT switched me over to their own netweork, port 80 has been open.

Port 119, which was blocked by @Home since forever is unblocked too.

The only ports blocked now are the NetBIOS Windows Networking ports...137-139 and 1080.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ...you can always change the port numbers in your server (tricky) and/or webserver (easier) to alleviate the problem (unix)? I forgot how to do this in win-nt/2000. In Mac OS X (not the Server version), I don't know if it is a good idea to play with the httpd.conf file.

...changing port numbers is also good to discorage hack attacks (port scanning can offset this).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    On a side note, I don't blame Cox and other cable companies for closing some of the port numbers available to their users - it may suck ass but some people take advantage. I'm sorry to say I'm one of them - my website pushes about 500MB on an average day. Why do I do it? I'm poooooooooooooooor!