Lord of the Rings Soundtrack Protected?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, so I "borrowed" my cousin's copy of the Lord of the Rings Soundtrack, to make a backup copy for him. I put it on my machine and lo and behold, nothin'. I can't read it, and it won't show up anywhere. So I just load it up with CloneCD and give it a rip. Too bad all the backups I make sound like crap. Weird static in them all over the place. So I headed over to <a href="http://www.fatchucks.com/corruptcds/index.html"; target="_blank">FatChuck's</a> to see if it's listed on the corrupt CD list, and it's not there either. So anyone out there know for sure if this CD has issues, or did I just happen to come across a bad copy?

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    No, it's not protected. It's an enhanced CD. The tracks and the data are on 2 separate disks, if you will. I ran across this myself when a friend made a copy of the cd on his pc and I stuck it in my mac. At first, I thought that there was only the html page with links to various LOTR sites but then I opened iTunes and there it was. You must have made a bad copy.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually, i don't think it's the copy that i made. i tried opening it on my PC (the original that is) and it would only work in 1 of 3 drives.

i burned a perfect duplicate, and i'll try again, but i'm pretty sure that it's a protection thing. funny part is that my iBook reads the disc just fine, and rips the tracks no problem. i'll have to try my copies next.

i've read before that macs tend not to have problems reading copy protected cd's (there was a tori amos one not to long ago) that PC's will have trouble with. maybe it's the drives they use, maybe it's the OS, who knows. what i do know is that my PC couldn't rip the tracks, and my Mac did no problem. i'll have to find out if other people are having this problem or not.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 3 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>actually, i don't think it's the copy that i made. i tried opening it on my PC (the original that is) and it would only work in 1 of 3 drives.

i burned a perfect duplicate, and i'll try again, but i'm pretty sure that it's a protection thing. funny part is that my iBook reads the disc just fine, and rips the tracks no problem. i'll have to try my copies next.

i've read before that macs tend not to have problems reading copy protected cd's (there was a tori amos one not to long ago) that PC's will have trouble with. maybe it's the drives they use, maybe it's the OS, who knows. what i do know is that my PC couldn't rip the tracks, and my Mac did no problem. i'll have to find out if other people are having this problem or not.

-alcimedes</strong><hr></blockquote>

OT, but what the tori album? I'd be upset if she started using copy protection...